John

Airport Express

I have an old Airport 802.11g base station and an Airport Express that allows me to stream music both from Internet and iTunes. However, the Airport Express does not extend the range of my signal. Neither of my IOS devices, which do work off my base station, are helped by it, nor is my laptop. I live in the country, so there is not another router within a quarter-mile. The one thing I will say is that my base station is getting a little cranky in its old age and has to be rebooted about once a week or so, but, again, it does stream music to the Airport Express. I have reset my Express to its factory settings in case that was the issue, but no luck. Any ideas? Thanks.

Hard to tell from your description. Is the AE set up to extend your network or is it setup AS a network? Has it ever worked to extend?

You might want to post the current settings (changing vital names/IPs) so the network experts can have a better idea of possible errors.

Hard to tell from your description. Is the AE set up to extend your network or is it setup AS a network? Has it ever worked to extend?

You might want to post the current settings (changing vital names/IPs) so the network experts can have a better idea of possible errors.

Not sure it's ever worked extending network as for years I did not have IOS devices and only used it to stream music. However, when I reset it, I selected option to join existing network and also selected option to use it to extend, but that didn't work. I can post settings this evening when I get home if you tell me what you want to see.

This should help.

That resolves to an unknown page for me, Harry.

Back to the original question -

When I had similar problems it was because I had set up the extender to do DHCP just like the original, so it stepped on the original with the same IPs.

That resolves to an unknown page for me, Harry.

I've just tried it and it's fine - as it is when copied to another browser and requested.

I've just tried it and it's fine - as it is when copied to another browser and requested.

Yep, weird. First several times I tried it went to Apple support but said it couldn't find what I wanted. When I opened in another tab, it worked fine and then worked OK normally. Must have been something wrong in my cache.

Actually, it happened to me the first time I tried the link from here - in Safari - so I sought and found it in the history of Camino, where I'd previously only accessed it, and it came up again there. After copying the link to Safari all was well - including when clicked on in here. As you said... weird.