Johanna

Writing app for iPad

Johanna    8

I'm looking for an app that essentially works like a pice of paper. I have a pen that works with the iPad, I just need an app where I can write handwritten things. Do you know of any good ones?

johnfoster    48

here's a survey.

I don't use an iPad for a notebook but if I was going to here's how I'd look at this problem. a very cursory search finds that all added up I can try every app for about $20. this includes the two "expensive" apps that cost 6 bucks. ultimately me (or in this case you) testing them out is going to be the only way to know what works. in looking at the demo pages the first thing I'm drawn to is the drawing. maybe I'm a sucker for really drawn well because in my mind my own notebook pages sometimes look like the demo. but a good demo drawing isn't going to automatically make your drawings better. you have to practice with a book like this or this.

part two of the success of using an iPad for note taking is the pen. the Pogo is the one that everyone knows. but there are others available on decreasing cost approaching free that should perform just as good: one for 10. three for almost 10. three for under a buck plus shipping. no matter what you need a pen. otherwise you won't get the resolution required for writing letters or to make detailed drawings. you should order something before you start your own survey. the Pogo seemed too skinny to me. I only doodled with it for a minute. but then again, I am somewhat of a pen nerd. it worked it wasn't my favorite. the really good news is that if you have a favorite pen shape you can roll your own pen using parts found around the office.

then there's is actually using it to take notes. if you are wanting this for "the classroom" then you should actually use the software like you would there. to do that take notes while listening to a podcast that you like. or try an actual class. the point is to use it like you would use it. things to look for: how fast can you make a new page, can you erese easily, can you do layers on a page, change colors, does it convert letters to characters, how connected is a page or pages (post to email, drop box, twitter, etc). another big deal is how fast does it start.

finally I have to shout out for the awesome that is a LiveScribe. it's a computer pen that records what you write or draw and it captures them with audio. this has two big functions. one is that all your notes are converted into digital form. you can optionally OCR it if you need it transcribed. or you can point to anything on the page and the pen or desktop software will jump to the audio that was going on when you made the note. useful if you are that kind of student. I used it in podcast production to find the oops that I needed to cut. the best part is that you can draw applications. for my app for podcasting I drew a time line then draw tick marks on them when things I needed to capture later that came up like links, product mentions, tips or bits that needed wordy explanations. a 100 bucks seems like a lot of money for a pen but once you use one it seems cheap at double the price.

here is the order that I'd use for looking at pen iPad software.

penultimate

notes-plus-handwriting-note

notability-handwriting-note

writepad

use-your-handwriting-gold (minus points for using the marketing verb "gold" in the name. sooo stupid.)

adobe ideas (minus points for a dumb name. possibly not useful. and it's the most money of all these apps.)

so what do I notebook with? a paper notebook! call me old. or quaint. but there's nothing like a notebook. it goes with having a thing for pens. the most well known notebook is the Moleskin. found nearly everywhere in all sizes, lined, blank or nerd grid. the only thing not to like about them is the cost. the first time I picked one up I gulped, "20 bucks for a notebook! nuh, uh?!" and right next to it was a cheaper, almost exactly the same Piccadilly notebook. this sells for about 6 bucks. I carry that around in my bag ready for whatever task I need to write. like the other night I busted out scripts for a trailer for a book that I am about to release. there is nothing like the speed of pen.

Edited by johnfoster

Johanna    8

penultimate

notes-plus-handwriting-note

notability-handwriting-note

writepad

use-your-handwriting-gold (minus points for using the marketing verb "gold" in the name. sooo stupid.)

adobe ideas (minus points for a dumb name. possibly not useful. and it's the most money of all these apps.)

so what do I notebook with? a paper notebook! call me old. or quaint. but there's nothing like a notebook. it goes with having a thing for pens. the most well known notebook is the Moleskin. found nearly everywhere in all sizes, lined, blank or nerd grid. the only thing not to like about them is the cost. the first time I picked one up I gulped, "20 bucks for a notebook! nuh, uh?!" and right next to it was a cheaper, almost exactly the same Piccadilly notebook. this sells for about 6 bucks. I carry that around in my bag ready for whatever task I need to write. like the other night I busted out scripts for a trailer for a book that I am about to release. there is nothing like the speed of pen.

Thank you. I do too, but it's for my boss who needs to easily use her iPad to project "hand-written" text for a creative writings class.

Edited by Johanna