kwsanders

New Baby

kwsanders    0

Several years ago, I found the MacCast forums after purchasing my new Power Mac with dual 2.0 GHz PowerPC processors. This May, that baby will be 7 years old. As of this week, I now have a new baby. I was finally able to purchase my first Intel based Mac. I got a 13" MacBook Pro and I am loving every minute with it so far.

Huskermn    33

Hey, Kerry, Congrats!

I have older Macs. For the first 4-5 years of OS X I bought a new one every couple years until my Core Duo iMac which I used for 5 years (maybe 6). A year after the had drive fried due to a power outage WHILE it was doing a SuperDuper backup (so I ran it using an external HD) I found a good condition Core 2 Duo that's now my primary machine.

They really remind me of the old John Cameron Swayze Timex commercials cuz they just keep on working. I'm about to upgrade my 9 yr old niece from the clamshell she's had for a couple years to a G3 iBook.

kwsanders    0

They are very reliable. If you don't need to update to the latest software, the older PowerPC based Macs are great for kids in school who need a way to do research for papers. My 13 year old son uses my old Power Mac for just that purpose at this point.

bebe33    0

Several years ago, I found the MacCast forums after purchasing my new Power Mac with dual 2.0 GHz PowerPC processors. This May, that baby will be 7 years old. As of this week, I now have a new baby. I was finally able to purchase my first Intel based Mac. I got a 13" MacBook Pro and I am loving every minute with it so far.

I just got a new 13" MacBook Pro too. It's gorgeous! Before that I had a original 13" MacBook Air - it was underpowered to begin with, so it's starting to really limp along now...It's been handed down to my 11 year old. She's very happy with it.

My husband has the 11" MBA and he loves that. Sometimes I'm a little jealous of his smaller form factor - it's a little more user friendly on the couch than my MBP. Were you tempted by the Airs at all? I know I was, but I definitely made the right choice.

How are you finding yours? I am really loving the battery life, and it's so quick. The only thing I don't like is that it takes ages to activate when I wake it from sleep. But I think that's just because I'm used to my instant-on iPad :)

pwbeninate    0

As of this week, I now have a new baby. I was finally able to purchase my first Intel based Mac. I got a 13" MacBook Pro and I am loving every minute with it so far.

Congratulations! The 13" MBP is a great little Mac. I used one as my main Mac for about 2 years and loved it!

kwsanders    0

How are you finding yours? I am really loving the battery life, and it's so quick. The only thing I don't like is that it takes ages to activate when I wake it from sleep. But I think that's just because I'm used to my instant-on iPad :)

Sorry for the delay in replying. I really enjoy using the MacBook Pro. I have not had any issues with mine waking from sleep. Do you have any USB devices plugged into it? When mines wakes up it is pretty instant.

The only real issue I have had with mine is that the external monitor that I am using sometimes sits and flashes between the background and snow after the computer wakes up. I have the Apple mini-displayport to DVI adapter plugged into the computer. That is attached to a 3 ft DVI cable that goes to the monitor. I haven't been able to figure this one out yet. I can unplug the mini-displayport connection, let the display cycle over to the laptop, plug it back in, and all is fine after that.

kwsanders    0

Congratulations! The 13" MBP is a great little Mac. I used one as my main Mac for about 2 years and loved it!

It is fun to use. I enjoy the mobility of the 13" MBP. Just unplug the MagSafe adapter and pick it up and move it anywhere.