philroy

Allow LAN but restrict Internet?

philroy    1

Hi all -

My family's stable of Apple devices just grew by one today when my 7-year-old daughter purchased an iPod Touch with Toys R Us gift cards and birthday and Christmas money. Understandably I don't want her having full access to the internet, so I have her blocked at our Airport Extreme base station. As I understand it, timed access on the Airport Extreme is either all or nothing, but I was wondering if I had missed something. Is there a way to allow her access to the LAN without allowing access to the internet with the Airport Extreme, or would I have to start looking at other solutions for that? If it's not possible with the Airport Extreme, does anyone have any ideas on how to accomplish this?

Thanks,

-- phil --

• Like 1

johnfoster    48

start with a search: ipod touch parental controls

philroy    1

start with a search: ipod touch parental controls

Thanks, John. Apparently parental controls has come a long way since the last time I looked at them. The last time I bothered to check, I didn't have much control, so I didn't even bother to look in that direction. My solution was to basically just shut off internet access altogether for my preteen son.

I'll do some digging ...

Thanks again,

-- phil --

johnfoster    48

this is a really complicated problem. a can of worms kind of problem. it cascades like this: device, home LAN, school, friends LAN, every where.

if restricting access or filtering is the key thing to solve it has to be done on the device otherwise simply moving to a different network removes those restrictions. it's not enough to have your router configured to be sensible.

the next problem is that kids have WAY more time than you have. a four digit password has 10,000 combinations. this is a very weak password made weaker by you having to remember it, the pattern of the input layout and the desire to have it simpler to enter if it's something required all the time. bypassing a 4 digit could be accomplished in a study hall session or three. this means that you are required to change the password often to insure that the controls you want in place stay in place. like restricting video to PG content.

unlocking the iPod Touch doesn't even require finding a password. putting the Touch in DFU mode and iTunes will dutifully restore it to like it came out of the box. this means you would have to spot check the device to make sure it's parent restrictions are still there. be sure to have a script (as in what you say) about why those restrictions are in place so it's a sensible talk not a you defy'd me one.

the other problem that you will have is that this is a moving problem. as your kid(s) grow up they will have new demands. wanting to interact with their friends and the requirements that the school might demand for homework, lessons and other content. like the Mac my niece has which is the most locked down thing I've ever encountered. but it's the only way the school will let Macs or PCs on campus.

one day you'll have to get into the STOP CONTROLLING ME fight. my advice on that is be adult about it and remember when you were making the same demand.

Edited by johnfoster