Huskermn

Windows 8 Question - SOLVED

I downloaded and installed the Consumer Preview of Windows 8 in Parallels 5. It runs fine but unfortunately, unlike my old WinXP VM, it won't connect to the Internet. Claims it didn't find a driver. Should I be trying to find the driver from my working XP VM? Or, is my old Parallels not up to running Win 8?

Thanks.

You were right, John. I needed to upgrade to Parallels 7 for it to work. Now works, interesting but somewhat underwhelming, though, might be because it is SUCH a beta and really doesn't give a good clue to how it would really work.

I've watched a few video demos of Windows 8. which helped me understand more about it's use after I'd installed in on real hardware to give it a spin. it seems confused as to what it wants to be. on one hand it's nothing more than a Win7 service pack. which should happen along side the Win8 release because Win7 really could use these improvements. and on the other it points the way to one possible future of doing work.

of course those squares make way more sense in the setting of a phone or a tablet. because work on a PC isn't always a single task in front of you.

Yeh, after spending a couple hours installing and not being able to connect to the Internet, then, upgrading Parallels and reinstalling W8 Preview from scratch (another 2 hrs +) it seems to be a big 'MEH' The interface might be good if it's ones first smartphone but I just don't think it's all that new.