Sign in to follow this  
araknd

SSD in MacMini

Hello all,

My mother-in-law recently passed away and I'm looking for a use for the Mac Mini that my wife and I bought for her about 3 years ago. While it is an Intel based Core2 Duo machine, it is a little slow compared to what is currently on the market. At any rate, my sister-in-law is in need of an upgrade from her much older Windows/AMD64 based computer. I got to thinking last night that upgrading the RAM and installing an SSD in the Mac Mini might actually be a viable upgrade. She only uses her computer for email, web surfing and a little word processing.

Has anyone here done such an upgrade and is it even worthwhile?

TIA.

Lance

that era Mac can address 4 gig of memory. it's kind of hard to install because you need a putty knife to force open the plastic snaps that hold the case in place. get the wide 4" one with the red handle. it takes about 1o minutes to install RAM and while you're there you might as well swap the drive for an SSD. there has been an continuing price drop that has put 120G SSDs in the $120-150 range. this makes the upgrade affordable. but it's also an extremely effective upgrade. you'll see faster startup/shut downs, quicker app launching and overall snappier use. however, you may want to use the SSD in conjunction with a hard drive. this drive holds music, pictures, large apps, etc. okay, so that's what I would do. whoever is getting the handmedown Mac my not have a need to hold a large amount of everything.

Thanks, Johnfoster. I have used SSDs in my Windows 7 machines (with data stored on a 2TB HD). Works great, so I thought that it would be a reasonable upgrade for my sister-in-law. It will be replacing a 5 year old AMD based Windows machine.

OWC has performance upgrade kits of RAM and SSDs for Mini and iMacs. It will be less than buying a new Windows machine.