Tomar012

Apple TV Network Drops

Hello - my Apple TV 2 has recently dropped both home sharing and air sharing every couple of minutes. When this happens I am brought back to the main menu. Has anyone experience and do you have a solution? Thanks!

Hard to know whether or not it's the Apple TV or your network. Do other devices connected to your network have any problem? Is it hardwired? Have you tried pulling the plug on the Apple TV for awhile and rebooting?

what changed? something new is interferring with your wireless network like a baby monitor, old microwave oven for crappy wireless phone. although these things don't often kill Wireless G these days.

you may also have a new neighbor that has choosen the same channel as your network. the overlappe may kill connections. change your channel to 1, 6 or 11 for best results. use the tools like netspot or wifi mapper to get a better idea of what is going on around you.

your wireless router may be dying. radios are good for a short time compared to other electronics due to the constant power they are transmitting. sometimes you can replace the radio part of the router but mostly you have to replace the whole thing. you'll know if it's the router because you Mac or Windows machine will have similar dropping problems.

I am using a wired connection to my network. I have dhcp server enabled. I have not changed anything in my setup but I have to admit that I don't use mt ATV very often. I' m able to stream (home sharing and air play) from my mac to my ipad and iphone with no problem. It just occurred to me that both of these devices are connected wirelessly while the ATV is wired. I may try switching to wireless to see if the problems persists but I don't want to use this as a permanent solution. I installed the last software update when the new UI was introduced at the iPad 3 release but I remember having this problem before the update. I will try unplugging and restarting. Thanks for the suggestions.

Over the years I have occasionally had DHCP problems. You might trying setting your router to distribute numbers starting at 192.168.1.200 and then giving your Apple TV an IP below that number. I'm thinking that your ATV IP might accidentally conflicts with something else on your network.

sounds like a bad cable or bad connector.

Hello Johnfoster and Huskermn

I think I "fixed" the problem. I disconnected the ethernet cable to enable wifi as a troubleshooting step. I was able to stream with no dropouts. I then reconnected the ethernet cable and the connection was stable. I'm embarrassed that I didn't do something as simple as reconnecting the ethernet sooner but I'm thankful for your help. Hopefully this solution will hold.

a classic tech support over the phone trick to get people to unplug/plug connectors into a hub/router/computer is to have them remove each end and BLOW on the connector. the blowing part doesn't do anything of course but you sometimes can hear this happening over the phone which means that this task is getting done. miraculously things start to work after this task is performed. usually people are at their wits end, have tried (and lied about doing it) so this is crazy enough sounding that they will go along with it.