James

iTunes can't sync/eject iPod because iPod is in use

How does one determine what application or process is using the iPod? I've got a classic (5th gen I think) iPod that occasionally I can't eject either from the desktop (despite the option being turned off) or from in iTunes because another application is using it according to iTunes and the Finder. How do I work out what that application is so I can turn it off or stop it from accessing the iPod so I can eject, sync or restore it?

• Like 2

quit an open app. try to eject the iPod. if it fails to eject repeat.

Hmmmm, sometimes it appears to be an app that should be unrelated to the iPod. Is there an app/on line resource that may tell you what is going on or who likely culprits are?

Edited by James

It is switched off. Although sometimes it forgets and goes back to manual music management and disk mode. As I then reset so just the top 2 options are set, turn off the movies and tv shows it wants to erase and sync my music because it says that it is synced to another computer. Sometimes I just want to eject the ipod and head out and don't have time for it to erase and sync.

It's like iTunes forgets the settings. It doesn't happen every time but it happens enough that it's annoying. Sometimes after having plugged my iPod into a speaker system (alarm clock, though the adapter at the bottom) it has this problem.

sounds like you have all the information that you need to solve this problem. plug, unplug, plug into different thing, unplug, repeat until it fails. the last thing is the thing that is causing the problem. I'm done guessing. good luck.

Should I try to delete iTunes' settings to see of that fixes the problem? Which file should I remove? Perhaps the settings file is playing up.

you should do an extensive plug unplug plug unplug eject test before tossing any prefs files. my guess, and I am really guessing this time, is that your alarm adapter thingy is part of the problem. I don't have experience with one of these things. and I can't see how it would cause a problem. but whatever. the only way you will know is to test it.