Waldo Pepper

App to tell me where my big files are

Hi,

My wife's MBP is seriously running short on HDD space and so I want to have a look at which files she might be able to archive off the computer.

I remember there was an application that tells you the size of all the files and where they are, and lists them in order of size. I just can't remember the name of it!

Thanks

Glenn

I've been using DiskScanner and despite my skepticism about the developers I really like the way it works.

delete stuff. music, garageband samples, printers, languages, apps, movies and other stuff you aren't using. there is no need to keep source files for Music or Video that you have worked on. move that stuff to an archive drive, DVD or the cloud for long term storage. Adobe and Apple sometimes installed sample files to go with their suites. find that stuff and mark it for deletion after you verify you have those files somewhere else. Motion installs a freaking large amount of stuff. if you aren't using those particle sets delete them.

get a bigger hard drive. the one you have is 4+ years old and it's doomed to fail anytime. because that's what old hard drives are always about to do. for not much money you can have 3X the total space. installing the hard drive is pretty easy but if you are inept with taking apart electronics somebody will install it for you for about $80 or less.

get rid of extra langauges:

http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/

get rid of printer drivers:

in finder:

open the harddrive

open the library folder (not the library found in your user named folder)

open printers

delete what ones you dont need. like if you don't have an HP printer you can delete that whole folder.

Garage Band uses 3.5 gig.

find it in Library/Application Support/GarageBandalso delete the audio loops found here /Library/Audio/Apple Loops

iDVD

if you don't make DVDs anymore this is game to go.

Library/Application Support/iDVD

Audio

this is the folder that has all AppleLoops used in Final Cut, Sound Track, and GarageBand.

if you aren't making music this can go the way of the dodo.

apps

delete apps that you don't use.also get delete the app that uses the supporting material you delete above.

work with a local server

move the files that you have finished creating to here. if you need the speed of working with a local file move the file back.push your media files to that server also. you really don't need to have your entire music, video, and game collection with you all the time. that's what iPods are for.change your download folder to a server.if your photo library is big consider moving it off as well.

log files

log files take up lots of space. use a manager to delete them.

/Library/Logs

Edited by johnfoster

I've been using DiskScanner and despite my skepticism about the developers I really like the way it works.

I can't find it on their site though having roamed around it I have the same impression as you about them - dodgy - a view I'm (perhaps unfairly) basing on their Engrish.

Edited by Harry_The_Bustard

Probably for the better. The website did seem wrong.

I switched back to Disk Inventory myself.

True - rather like

one - where visiting such may end up meaning All Your Base Belong To Us.

It's a little expensive but DaisyDisk is freakin' awesome.

how is 10 bucks expensive? in perspective, I've had parking tickets that cost far more and a less useful.

the idea is that if the app is useful to you then the cost doesn't matter.

It's a little expensive but DaisyDisk is freakin' awesome.

I'm giving a second vote to DaisyDisk. Beautiful UI and really great app.

Back in my day we paid $50+ for apps and we liked it. You young kid's with your $0.99 apps need to take your pennies and get off my lawn. :P

Back in my day we paid $50+ for apps and we liked it. You young kid's with your $0.99 apps need to take your pennies and get off my lawn. :P

And how deep was the snow that you had to trudge through to get to the store to buy those apps?

I had to go up hill both ways to get to school. no really. both ways.

Lets not talk about the old days, my kids don't even know what a "CD" is!

Thanks for the tips, I ended up using "Space Gremlin" but after having a look at DaisyDisk, I like the look of the UI.

Cheers

Okay you guys got me. I should have said "relatively expensive".

In my country you can buy 10 delicious beers with that money.

Edited by macboer

Ha ha. You know Boer that you kid the ones you love most.

But seriously I think apps and app pricing is a serious topic, maybe for a new thread, that needs to be discussed more in the community. I love all the great apps and great app developers we have had in the Apple community for years, but as we move to post PC I'm concerned about two main areas.

1. Quality vs. quantity of apps in the app store
  2. Sustainability of quality software as app prices plummet

Some will argue that what you lose in margin you can make up in volume, but I'm not sure I'm on board with that. Obviously there is evidence to support both arguments in the short run, but what about long term? It's interesting debate.

• Like 1