Johanna

Removing nail polish from mac

Johanna    8

Hi, my little sister got to borrow my mac and she spilled nail polish on it.

I tried using nail polish remover and a damp cloth but it didn't work. Any suggestions?

img0208il.jpg

• Like 3

johnfoster    48

you have three options:

I've had luck with lighter fluid for removing ink or stains. put it on a cloth or paper towel then rub the area. on some surfaces, specifincally white boards, you can write over the marks using a dry erase marker, let it sit then use a cloth to whip it off. this works for getting Sharpie off a LCD display. the other thing I've used is Aqua Net Hairspray. spray it directly on the surface, wait for about a minute then remove it. don't wait longer than that though. it's a plastic Macbook so using any of stronger cleaners, specifically acetone, might melt the case. however, it looks like the polycarbonite has sucked in the enamel. if that's the case (sorry about the pun and it's possibly intended) there is nothing that will get that color out.

before you try any of the above on the colored area test it on a part of the Mac that isn't as visible to make sure it won't do more damage. plastic melts easily and when that happens it's impossible to fix.

you can buy a new top case which will replace the trackpad, mouse button, keyboard and the area around the button. you can find a used top case from one of the mac repair places or ebay. these go from $20 to $80 as a used item or as much as $300 for brand new. installing it is removing 12 screws, popping the two flat wire bundles from the main board and reversing the steps. it should take no more than 15 minutes to do. oh yeah, there is a disheartening POP when you lift the keyboard forward as it releases from the hold down snaps. that sound is normal.

finish the job. paint the rest of the Mac using that color. it looks like a nice blue.

Edited by johnfoster

Johanna    8

you have three options:

I've had luck with lighter fluid for removing ink or stains. put it on a cloth or paper towel then rub the area. on some surfaces, specifincally white boards, you can write over the marks using a dry erase marker, let it sit then use a cloth to whip it off. this works for getting Sharpie off a LCD display. the other thing I've used is Aqua Net Hairspray. spray it directly on the surface, wait for about a minute then remove it. don't wait longer than that though. it's a plastic Macbook so using any of stronger cleaners, specifically acetone, might melt the case. however, it looks like the polycarbonite has sucked in the enamel. if that's the case (sorry about the pun and it's possibly intended) there is nothing that will get that color out.

before you try any of the above on the colored area test it on a part of the Mac that isn't as visible to make sure it won't do more damage. plastic melts easily and when that happens it's impossible to fix.

you can buy a new top case which will replace the trackpad, mouse button, keyboard and the area around the button. you can find a used top case from one of the mac repair places or ebay. these go from $20 to $80 as a used item or as much as $300 for brand new. installing it is removing 12 screws, popping the two flat wire bundles from the main board and reversing the steps. it should take no more than 15 minutes to do. oh yeah, there is a disheartening POP when you lift the keyboard forward as it releases from the hold down snaps. that sound is normal.

finish the job. paint the rest of the Mac using that color. it looks like a nice blue.

Haha, thanks. I'll try getting it off and if it dosen't work I'll just replace it.

MacCast    80

Let us know if any of these options worked. I'd be very curious. I would have thought using nail polish remover would have melted the casing right away. Glad to know it didn't. I usually will only use a slightly damp cloth (wetted with just water) to wipe down my Macs. Occasionally I'll use a spray like iKlear, but again applied to a cloth first and then use that to wipe down the Mac.

Another option is to just live with it and call it a "Battle scar". Does look like maybe it got in a fight with an old Bondi Blue iMac.

• Like 1