Sign in to follow this  
rmsmits

Best Format for an External Drive?

My sister is buying an external drive for back-up. It's a 2 TB drive and my recommendation to her is going to be to partition the drive and use half for a CCC bootable backup and the other half for Time Machine. I know both CCC and TM need to work with HFS format, but she also has Windows 7 running with Parallels. Will the HFS format be able to properly back up the Windows stuff?

usually your VM will make a virtual partition instead of writing to the native file system. the backup sees this as one big file. meaning that it will it will get backed up every time Windows 7 gets used.

… half for a CCC bootable backup and the other half for Time Machine

In my opinion, from a backup perspective, there isn't much advantage in partitioning a drive and using half for TM and half for CCC. Yes, you get the advantages of a time machine history and combine it with a backup you can boot from, but you losing the data redundancy advantage. You're much better protected if you buy two separate 1TB drives and run Time Machine on one and CCC on the other. With the partitioned 2TB if your drive goes bad you lose both (all) your backups.