Sign in to follow this  
TerryB

Need to design my Garden - simply!

I don't want to design a jet engine - just draw up plans for my garden from dimensions already measured. Can anyone recommend anything please - preferably cheap and for my MBP:-

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,4

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP53.00AC.B03

SMC Version (system): 1.49f2

Serial Number (system): 730130D27XJ

Hardware UUID: 483D5445-7FFB-5C4E-A4C0-3D72E2D651FC

TiA

Terry Brinkworth, England.

my second thought is Sketch Up. this is a general purpose 3D tool that can be used for all kinds of visualizations. you could use it to design a workbench, help layout a room or plan a building. but I've also seen it used to design robots parts. there is even a person who's dedicated some time to using it to plan gardens.

Edited by johnfoster

I'll second both these picks. I'm afraid I don't have much first hand experience with SketchUp, but from what I've been told, it's an extremely powerful and easy to use 3D modeler. Plus, it's free.

In the case of OmniGraffle, I've used it for years. Not only is it easy to use, but I think the extendability of it's stencils is what makes it shine. You can get stencils for all kinds of things. As a matter of fact, the first one listed on the "extras" potion of the OmniGraffle page is a gardening one. There is also a great community site, Graffletopia, where people create and share additional stencils. Graffletopia is even integrated into the app, so you can pull new stencils in from the site directly without having to even open a browser. If you'd like to make your own stencils you can even do that because they are in essence just sets of vector objects. You don't even have to draw. I've created them from vector illustration sets I've purchased off iStockphoto. This gives the app a lot of versatility. I've used it for flowcharts, network diagrams, user interface design and layouts, even creating some illustrated documentation for some projects. All in all a great app. Bonus is there is also a version for the iPad.

Wow! thanks folks. This is a project which I have been postponing until I'm forced to sort out the mess! Procrastination is the enemy of progress etc.. Thanks a zillion.

TerryB

sketchup is a tool that you won't "just get" as it's 3D. thinking in 3D requires you to learn some new tricks. there is a very solid set of tutorials that will help you get started, show you all the UI elements, how to draw with them, and get you to making a house, building, workbench or outside space.

training your hands how to do this while you have off time is important to not getting frustrated when you are trying to do your project.

Edited by johnfoster