Ron in KY

Rumored MacBook Pro memory change?

Hi Guys,

I just sold off my Mac Mini, MacBook and iMac, Im going to just have one machine to do everything and the people at the apple store told me I shall wait for the new MacBook, and not to buy the current one. I was concerned over the loss of Firewire, but Ill get that back in the 27" Cinema Display, so no worries about all my Hard Drives and HDV camera I have. I just need more processing power in Final Cut :-)

Anyhow, my question is the following if anyone has knowledge of the following....

I was considering ordering the memory for this new machine coming out next month now, so I have it, but none seems to know what kind of memory it takes, and my question is, the specs are out on what processor it is, etc. So how come from that none can tell me what kind of memory modules this new MacBook Pro will be using I would like to put 16 GB in from the day I get it in my hands... Anyone have any info on if its the same as the current MacBook Pro's? or is there reason to believe it will be something different?

My 2nd question, Are we loosing an infrared port for using an apple remote to change keynote presentations, etc? I do presentations, and there is no talk about it having it... Anyone know if its gone? I know I can use my iPhone or iPad to do it, and that is why I think they may have eliminated the IR port...

3rd, with the revamping of the new MacBook having USB 3, does anyone think the new Cinema display will be due for a refreshing to have USB 3 now as part of that? I was going to get a Cinema Display with the new MacBook, but a website says its nearing end of life...

Thanks for the input on this, and look forward seeing what else may be new this year.

Ron in KY

who knows.… you'll have to wait for answers just like everyone else. okay, if you really want answers then we can all just throw out wild guesses.

first off Apple NEVER comments about unannounced products. that a person AT APPLE who told you to wait goes against that policy. it's a something that will get you FIRED. this has been true for at least 20 years. when I was doing work at Apple, specifically with prototype hardware, the rules were very, very clear. one leak and you are done. no backsies.

second thing is you can read the rumor sites like the rest of us. remember that rumors are not news. these guys are wrong 94% of the time.

Apple releases stuff on Tuesday. there is one Tuesday left before the start of the World Wide DEVELOPERS Conference. the WWDC doesn't always bring new hardware. it usually doesn't. mostly because it's not a consumer event. it's not for everyone. it has never been for everyone. nothing to see here. move on.

products like Mac Pro, MacBook Pro and Airport are critical to Apple. they will not announce a product unless it can ship within 24 hours. once announced very few people want the old product. that is, unless the new product is fundementally flawed by having a glossy screen, no Express Card slot or missing Firewire.

the best advice I can give is that if you need a computer, you need a computer. waiting until the next thing doesn't make much sense if you are delaying doing work. you can always wait for the next thing forever.

sorry this sounds like it does. it's just unpossible to predict a future when it comes to what "might be" a product reset. and if I was going to predict something it would be that this new Mac, whatever it is, won't be the Mac that everyone was expecting. in otherwords: stand by for disappoinment.

Based on the teardown at iFixit, you wont' be able to upgrade the RAM yourself. Just like the Air, RAM is soldered to the logic board, so will need to be ordered when the mac is bought.

That's right Graham. The internals of the new MacBook Pro are just about identical to the MacBook Air in terms of RAM and storage. Both are soldered to the board and not end-user upgradable.

I am glad that I bought earlier this year instead of waiting. I can upgrade my 13" MBP with more RAM for a cheaper cost than getting an equivalent amount of RAM from Apple and change out drives when I prefer.

I heard something on Tech News Today that said the SSD is proprietary, but apparently it is a daughter board so it might be upgradable in the future.