Tomar012

ITunes Script or App for Entering Metadata

Tomar012    0

Hello - can anyone suggest an app or script for entering metadata for media imported into the iTunes library? For example, I may import several podcasts into my library and would like to be able to enter the title, artist, genre, etc. with ease. I know I can do it in iTunes but that is painful when doing multiple files.

Thanks!

johnfoster    48

there's no need for a script.

you can always multiple select files using shift-select (works for all in a row) or command-click (to select mutliple files that might not be next to each other) to select the files you want to enter meta data. after selecting type Command-I, you will see a warning but disregard it. now enter all the things you wanted changed including album art.

this is the same way you'd enter album information that wasn't in the CDDB database which auto fills it for you when it detects a CD.

Apple Geek    15

Yeah, multiple files can be a pain in the behind. What I usually do (going off of what John said) is to enter as much meta data as possible that is the same for all of those items. Maybe it's artist, album, genre, etc - whatever is the same for all of them. Then if all of the tracks need individual titles (yes, you'll have to enter them one-by-one) you can go pretty fast if you select the first one in the list and then Command-I (or right click/get info) and then change the name of the first track. Then INSTEAD of hitting the OK button and going on to the next track, hit Command-N (the keyboard equivalent of hitting the 'Next' button in the window), when the next item is up, the Title field will already be highlighted and you can just start typing the name it needs. Then hit Command-N again and you're on to the next one. It's a pain having to enter all of the titles manually but using the keyboard the way I just described can really make it go much faster. Again, just try to change as much of the meta data that is the same for the items as you can on those items all at once.

Like John said, there's not much need for a script when you're just changing the album name, genre, or artist but scripts can be handy if you need to set the track number or other sequential-type data. The first place I always go when I'm trying to automate something in iTunes is Doug's Scripts for iTunes. It's the ABSOLUTE best resource for AppleScripts for iTunes of any kind. Take a look around and you may find something useful. Then donate some money to him because it just saved you a ton of time and he's giving (nearly) all of it away for free.

johnfoster    48

insert <rant>about wasting time trying to get AppleScripts to work versus just doing the work yourself</rant>

MacCast    80
The first place I always go when I'm trying to automate something in iTunes is Doug's Scripts for iTunes. It's the ABSOLUTE best resource for AppleScripts for iTunes of any kind.

I'll second that.

For a while I used "VideoMonkey" but it kept crashing, and I couldn't add files by dragging them to the window I had to use the FILE menu command etc.

Anyway, it sent me looking and I found a fantastic app called iDentify. I downloaded it from the App store and almost immediately upgraded to the paid version it was so good.

It searches both the IMDB, TMDB, and TVDB and is successful almost every time. The only files that it couldn't retrieve data from were movies (old ones) but if you do a search in IMDB manually with a browser and then copy and paste the IMDB code into iDentify, it retrieves all the metadata.

It only accepts iTunes ready files, so I just use Handbrake.

Once the metadata is written you can have it send the file straight to iTunes.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Glenn

P.S. I just realised you were referring to music files? I was talking about TV and Movie files. Sorry for the confusion!

Edited by Waldo Pepper