Sign in to follow this  
John Bowdler

Home phone: can I use my iPod Touch as a phone using my home Wi-Fi/bluetooth connection?

John Bowdler    40

Hi

I've got an iMac, a broadband connection, Wi-Fi and a fourth-gen iPod Touch.

Is it possible to make and take calls at home, using the wi-fi connection (or Bluetooth)?

I'm not talking about making VOIP calls!

Cheers

John

• Like 4

johnfoster    48

for the vision impared I've reposted your question:

I've got an iMac, a broadband connection, Wi-Fi and a fourth-gen iPod Touch. Is it possible to make and take calls at home, using the wi-fi connection (or Bluetooth)? I'm not talking about making VOIP calls!

Cheers

John

johnfoster    48

taking "a call" using wi-fi or bluetooth IS making a Voice over Internet Protocals call. so let me guess what you are actually asking. you want to use your iThing to replace the cordless phone inside your home. which you can do. it's complicated. there are solutions of IPing your phones. it's easier to do if you have just one phone line. and not so easy if you have 2 or more mostly becauuse two lines means that it's business releated so it's expensive. you could use a Cisco switch. there are several models that you can install that will take your POTS lines and convert them so that software can answer them. you could set up a IVR tree so that callers could find the specific person they want to talk to then that device will ringading announcing the call.

Asterisk is an open source phone project. it's interesting if only because the devs believe phones should workl the way they say they think they should and have ignore the pleas of actually phone users for years. you need an old PC, some POTS boards and some time to muck with it. I set up a phone system 6 years ago using asterisk only to hear nothing but bitching from it's users. after a month they reinstalled their 20 year old phone system. I'm sure it's much better today. although it's still hampered by a core philosphy that existed when I was working on it.

magicjack. vonage. and other pay services have ways to port your phone number to them and then you get services like "send to my device." YMMV. I haven't used this stuff because why take a perfectly working mostly cheap phone and make it more complicated.

here's a thing that makes your iThing do what I thought you were asking to do.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/line2-2-lines-1-iphone/id319185557?mt=8

http://www.toktumi.com/

John Bowdler    40

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. Seems more complicated than it should be.

The Line2 software is for North America only; I'm in the UK.

I think I'll just stick to the landline.

Cheers

John