Sign in to follow this  
jkolnick

how to authorize ipad on new computer

jkolnick    0

Hi Gang:

before moving to Malaysia I sold off my iMac and purchased a Macbook Pro 17". I had my iPad Synced with the iMac and now I need to sync to my Macbook Pro. I can I do this?

Thanks

Jerry

Dolphbucs    2

It can be done, just depends on whether you had Lion or something older on the iMac. If you had Lion on the iMac ( and/or the latest version of iOS on the iPad ) everything should be backed up to iCloud and you are fine.

If the iMac had 10.6 or 10.5 and you are running iOS 4 or earlier, I believe the first time you hook up the iPad to the MBP it will ask if you wish to replace the data on the iPad or the MBP. Select iPad and you should be good to go.

Of course, if the data on your MBP is the set most current, and your iTunes was already loaded on the MBP with all your media and apps, then you could just reset the iPad and start over.

jkolnick    0

thanks for the reply but for now I have too much on the iPad to bak up to the cloud. So I need to do something else.

Jerry

Dolphbucs    2

If you are talking Media not purchased from iTunes, did you not make a backup of that media before you sold the iMac? Remember that a file does not exist unless you have at least 2 copies of it ( preferably 3 ).

Anyway, all apps and other iTunes purchased items will be available for re-download through your Apple ID. As far as non-Apple media, try this.

http://www.fadingred.com/senuti/

What version of iOS are you running ? If you have iOS 5 your data will backup to the cloud via wi-fi. So, delete the media after performing the above and then just perform cloud backup. When you reset the iPad to the MBP, you just need to perform a restorte from backup and then re-load the recovered Media.

MacCast    80

As Dolphbucs is eluding to you should be able to just restore the files from the backup of your old Macbook Pro and then load them back into iTunes and set up syncing. That or re-download them as he noted. If you didn't move the location of the iTunes Media file then the app files would be in ~/Music/iTunes Media/Mobile Applications (assuming you had a cloned backup like Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper). You can just copy the .ipa files to the new Mac and drop them onto iTunes.

How did you set up the new Mac? If you had used Migration Assistant it should have brought all that stuff right over.