bigruss

Sync my Safari Bookmarks using DropBox

I was hoping for a simple answer to syncing my book marks between my three Mac's, using dropbox. Is there anybody out there that can give me some step by step instructions to accomplish this? Using Snow Leopard, and not likely to ever move to lion with its missing SAVE-AS command. Thanks.

Russ

google: dropbox bookmarks sync mac click I'm Feeling Lucky.

Edited by johnfoster

OK, it actually worked on my laptop. I moved the files to Dropbox as instructed and created the symbolic link. Laptop done. Went to my desktop, and performed the same task. I got the error message that the link can't be found. Strange since the laptop can see it, and works. I can go into drop box and see the link, on the desk top. I can duplicate the file in drop box, move the copy to my desktop's library folder, and the desktop sees all the book marks. But when I delete the file in the library folder, and create the symbolic link, the same error shows up. Double clicking the symbolic link says file not found. It then asks if I want to fix the link. I say yes, and I click on the file in drop box, and I get the spinning beach ball of death when I try to fix the link. I guess I have something wrong on the desktop.

thanks for the help anyway.

Russ

the problem as I see it is that "system level" things were never the things that DropBox planned to EVER sync.

I would almost agree with you on this one. I am sure DropBox didn't intend for clowns like me to sync system files. However, the laptop does work this way. What I think I will do is resurrect another older MAC I have and see if i can sync that systems bookmarks with dropbox. I hope, that the problem is my other MAC, and not the procedure.

On a really different subject, I heard the new version of Lion is supposed to have SAVE AS back. Lets hope so. I can't even comprehend why that was removed.

Russ

> I can't even comprehend why that was removed.

I can. because there are clowns who think that this somehow makes things easier. that removing a feature is something that the lusers want. they very likely did luser testing using a bunch of knobs that questioned again and again what "Save As…" meant. never mind that this feature goes back to 1.o of Mac system before is was even called Mac OS.

but here's the thing, who's EVER woken up one morning and wished for less features. never happened.