Sign in to follow this  
macboer

Apple product's Upgradeability: The Future

I'd like to hear what your opinion is on the fact that Apple is locking down their products more and more. Without the ability to upgrade RAM or HDD it seems that we will be spending even more $ on fixing and upgrading.

For me, the problem is not not having the fastest machine around. I just want to be able to run the applications that I'm running when I buy the machine, for at 4-5 years. It's, what if the HDD fails after 3 years or what if I don't want to spend money on 32GB of RAM at the moment.

I think one of the reasons I feel like this is because where I'm form we don't have Apple Stores only "Authorized Retailers".

And the service we get here is not half as good as what you'd get in the States. Believe me when I say there aren't any stories of people getting free replacements after a couple of months etc. I'm not looking forward to spend more that $3000 on a computer every 2-3 years.

Anywho, sorry for the somber tone. I'm sure Apple will still be making products that they themselves are excited about.

Should people like me not be using Apple gear?

Edited by macboer

years ago Apple shipped Mac's with card slots. the tech press was brutal about counting them. if there was only one slot they howled. if there was two there were three paragraphs about how that wasn't enough. three. more frothing. four. okay, they were happier but still mentioned it as "only FOUR slots…" and five. if a computer had five slots it was mentioned as single point, "there are five slots in this model." thing was nobody used five slots. okay, if you invested in AVID or a ProTools you might use five slots. more likely you used three and felt good about having room to expand.

if you were a graphic designer and had a lot of money you used TWO slots to drive two big 1024x768 displays. or you might have been a video editor and used one slot for your capture card and another for your RAID card.

but the rest of us usually used exactly ZERO slots.

remember when the iMac showed up? no slots. no floppy. no SCSI port. you've never heard such indignation from the press. it was like, huh, what was it like? it was annoying. because here was this beautiful computer that wasn't a box, that wasn't beige all done up in translucent future color and all these guys could do was list a list of faults.

this round of Macs is no different.

first off, the iFixit report card for machine service is complete crap. but for whatever reason NOBODY in the tech press is calling bullshit on them. of course they aren't. they are linking to it and commenting on this saying, "yeah! how DARE they!!" it's sensationalistic air quotes journalism at best. more likely it's an article made to generate clicks.

here's why.

in year ONE of any product ALL service will be done by the manufacture. period. warrantee repairs are part of the first year. yes, you might have to "go" to a place that does service or you can box the item then send it to that place. in either situation you the owner of the thing shouldn't pay for the repair. the only reason why you would fix this yourself is because you did something catastrophic to the device caused by gravity, water, or other abuse. if you can't take care of a THREE THOUSAND DOLLAR device you deserve to lose it because of your inabilities.

year TWO and THREE. sometime during year ONE you should have purchased a extended warrantee. for Apple products this adds on either $250 or $350 to the final cost. considering that just about any repair, and there are only three or four that can be done, will cost plenty this is a sane purchase. a motherboard replacement in the past has been quoted at $750. a screen, especially one that is cracked or damaged, was quoted at over a thousand dollars. both of these repairs (okay not a dropped screen) will cost zero with a AppleCare in place.

so for the first THREE years of its life that computer should be taken care of be Apple (or Dell or HP or Lenovo).

after year THREE is over the you have choices. sell the computer while it still has value. this makes it NOT your future problem. it's better to sell it to somebody you don't know instead of a family member or friend as you will never hear the end of it if it breaks.

another option is to continue using the computer just like you always did. the idea is that if everything is running tops after three years it will continue to run without problems. if anything happens to it you won't be unhappy because three years is the expected life of these things. la vie.

you don't have to buy the newest MacBook Pro if the insides of it bug you. buy something that you can fix. there are hundreds of computers that will let you inside. you know, those "standards" based things. you really should be looking at other options if you are running a business instead of just saying, "oh, Mac, this is nice. gulp. expensive. but we like the promise." in fact, it's hard for me to recommend a 1.o version of anything that Apple makes. better to wait for the next revision because they will have implemented minor changes learned from the failures in the field.

the other two Macs on the docket are highly fixable. you can add RAM, change the hard drive and replace just about every part you can source. the only thing you won't replace is the DVD optical drive. when that breaks you'll use the space for a hard drive instead.

Edited by johnfoster

Thanks johnfoster.

There's no Apple Care in my Country.