Calum

RSS Menu extension for Safari 6

If you've just downloaded Mountain Lion and you find you're missing the RSS menu in Safari 6, I've written a little extension that you might find useful… you can download it from here, where you can also see a short video of it in action.

It won't turn Safari back into a full-fledged RSS reader/manager, but it'll restore the ability to discover new feeds in a web page, and load them straight into either Google Reader or your default RSS app.

• Like 1

Can you list a step by step instructions? For some reason I can't get any audio for your video (even when I download it and play it though something else) - I don't know why it won't play audio.

I'm pretty sure there's not supposed to be sound on the video. The steps are written as subtitles pretty clearly throughout the video. What part are you having trouble with?

The bit where you select a feed and get the 3 options - although perhaps my feeds are all empty.

For example, in another news reader (ireader), shows that there are 10 unread articles in feed://news.com.com/2547-1_3-0-5.xml but I can't seem to get that to appear in the rss extension.

I thought I may have missed a step in the installation, that is all.

I'm also still looking for a suitable replacement for Safari RSS reading ability (I must admit I did like having all my news, info etc all being in one application). I also think I'd like to use the notification centre to get all my notifications for new articles/stories appearing in feeds.

I went to news.cnet.com - where that feed is pulling from - and the extension button is disabled for me. Is that what you're seeing? It just means that the extension can't pick up the feeds from that page. Try scrolling all the way to the bottom of the page and then in the bottom right, click on RSS. Then click on the specific feed that you want ('All of CNET', 'CNET News', 'Product Reviews', etc...). It's only on that next page that I can get the extension to be enabled (because it now sees the feed).

Try that and see if that's what you're looking for.