Sign in to follow this  
root

iMac Hard Drive Upgrade With Temperature Sensor Replacement

Hello all,

I've been attempting to upgrade the hard drive in my mid 2010 iMac. From what I've read, you must by the same brand of hard drive as what is currently in the iMac in order for it to work. However, I have found that the Western Digital drive I have bought does not match the temperature sensor connection found on the WD hard drive that is already in the iMac. I've read about leaving the sensor disconnected and using software to control the hard drive fan, but I really don't like relying on 3rd party software for something like this and would only go this route if it's the only option. Instead, I'm wondering if I can get a temperature sensor (from somewhere like http://applecomponents.com/) that matches another drive type and a corresponding drive and have this work without the additional software.

Does anyone have any idea if this would work?

the Temperature sensor is reused with the new hard drive. I've seen them attached two ways: with tape or a sticker. or screwed to the side of the hard drive via one of the mounting holes. in either case you cannot miss it. you will see that it is easily moved and set aside. it's cable connects close by on the mother board.

the hard drive isn't anything special. and any SATA drive should work. as near as I know Apple has not implemented a requirement for FU or FY rated drives in any product other than the Xserves. these drives had to be purchased from Apple and not a single other drive worked. this made for expensive failures. fortunately the Xserve is no longer a product (so long you way too expensive not very versatile thing from a salesmen's dream space… good riddance).

the iMac is a thing from hell. I don't think it was made to come apart. every time I work on one (you know because she did that thing with her eyes) I swear I will never work on another one. it's too easy to get a finger print on the inside cover that you only discover once you get it all back together meaning you have to take it apart one more time with more care and feeling even though you'll be mad about doing it. the G5 iMacs were a work of art. the first and second round Intel versions were cost reduced and hid ugly underneath RF foil and a zillion screws. all of them needed some weird plastic tool to unhook a latch that held them together. the latest versions require suck-tion tools to help with the face plate remove (put emphasis on the suck). the spaghetti monster help you if you need to pull it apart.

part of this problem is / was / forever is going to be Steve Jobs. that guy hated screw heads. he required that stupid pressure latches hold stuff together so there wouldn't be a visible screw. never mind that this added hundreds of dollars to a simple build. if you wonder why a Mac Pro cost so much consider that the case, that screwless wonder, would sell of $600 if it were a retail item. power supply NOT included.

http://gigaom.com/ap...acs-hard-drive/

Edited by johnfoster

the Temperature sensor is reused with the new hard drive. I've seen them attached two ways: with tape or a sticker. or screwed to the side of the hard drive via one of the mounting holes. in either case you cannot miss it. you will see that it is easily moved and set aside. it's cable connects close by on the mother board.

the hard drive isn't anything special.

From what I can tell, this isn't the case any longer. From what I've read, starting in 2009, they changed the way temperature is monitored. There is no external attachment monitoring temperature, but rather a separate connection to the hard drive manufacturer's specific port. I'll try to take pictures and post them when I get a chance showing the difference between the drive that was in there and the new one.

For the record, I've done the hard drive and temperature sensor replacement successfully. There are Mac parts sites around, but the cheapest place I found a sensor was on eBay. It was $20 including shipping, which was much better than the other sites because shipping to Canada was ridiculous. I did this for a Seagate drive - the WD drives I tried did not fit the WD temp sensor that was already in my Mac. I can't confirm whether this will be true of all WD drives or iMac's with WD drives, but my experience with Seagate drives and that temp sensor went smoothly. Save yourself the money you will spend on the HD fan control software and just buy an appropriate temperature sensor.