This past Thursday evening, I upgraded the 13" MacBook Pro that I bought back in late February. I took the ram from 4 gig to 8 gig. I also replaced the original Toshiba 500 gig 5400 rpm drive with a 750 gig Seagate Momentus XT hybrid 7200 rpm drive.

I have noticed a ton of difference in the speed with both upgrades. Before the upgrade, when I used Parallels to boot into Windows for office work, the system would start paging in and out a lot with swap space growing to 2 gig sometimes. Now with the extra ram, I have increased the allotted ram for Parallels from 1 gig to 2.5 gig with a video ram increase to 512 meg. Even with that, I have no pages out and swap space remains at zero.

The drive upgrade has greatly increased the speed of the machine. Boot time went from around a minute to less than 30 seconds from a cold start. App launch times are noticeably faster. Launching things like the Mail app or Safari would cause the icon in the dock to bounce 4 or 5 times and eventually come up to the screen. With the new drive upgrade, in the instance of Mail.app, the icon bounces once and, in fact, the main Mail screen is displayed on the monitor before the icon finished that single bounce.

This seems to be the best hardware money I have spent in quite a while.

Sounds great! I just today ordered myself a new 13" MBP. Got it with 8 GB RAM and an SSD drive (I don't need the space so I went with the cheapest 128 GB). This should be a major upgrade from my 4 GB RAM and slow spinning drive. I can't wait for it to show up next week.

I kind of wish I had waited a few months. The new ones are a little faster, but I overall, I am very happy with this one. I love the portability of the 13" machine.

I am a little nervous. I've been using a 15" for the past 4 years. I don't know how I'm going to adjust to a 13" screen. I wanted to get another 15" but I just couldn't justify the extra cost. Plus, I'll be carrying the machine all over the place on campus so I think the lighter 13" is going to be so much better. The 15" was just way too heavy.

I still have my Mac mini too so that can be my workhorse if I need it to be.