stevegroom

App store unusable after dual boot install of mountain lion

I have MBP with 500gb HD, divided in three partitions.

One with OS X 10.7, one for data, and a newly erased one for Mountain Lion.

Mountain Lion installed without any issues, but when I started the app store to continue this new build, all my apps on the OS X Lion partition are marked as installed, so I cannot install them under Mountain Lion.

I though this might be related to spotlight, so I removed the OS x lion disk from the mountain lion ,spotlight index, but it did not help.

Regards

Steve

Just a hunch, but it could be that the Mac App store keeps track of the machine you have the software installed on ( maybe by mac address ? ). If so, this may be an issue for dual boot systems.

I don't think it can be related to the mac address otherwise this would be a problem after replacing or reformatting a single partitioned hard disk. I think that Mountain Lion scanned all my disks and shows those apps on OS X Lion partition as already installed in Mountain Lion.

Is there a way to force a re-install of an app marked as Installed?

Steve

Try this: Close the App Store, remove the caches in the folder ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.appstore (just drag to Desktop), relaunch the App Store.

I have no idea if this will work. I tried it but of course it saw all of the apps that I had installed on my machine. Since you removed your Lion machine from Spotlight and unmounted it, the 'receipt' of your downloads and purchases of your apps may still be in cache. Maybe this will clear it out.

At worst, you can just copy the apps over from your Lion partition into your Mountain Lion partition.

Thank you!

Removing the app store cache did not help.

Unmounting the OS X Lion disk and restarting the app store did the trick.

Now I can clean install just the apps I want.

I then used disk utility to remount the OS X Lion disk once the installs started and app store did not re-add all the OS X Lion installed apps.

thanks for the help.

regards

Steve