Sign in to follow this  
Ceoltoir

OS upgrade slows scanning even with "updated" drivers

This isn't so much a problem as a question to the cause. i have noticed since upgrading to Mountain Lion that scanning time for documents has increased dramatically. Under 10.7 i could scan pages at an average of 22 to 36 seconds per page on an HP laserjet. After upgrading to 10.8 that time has risen to over a minute per page. At first i thought it was because the drivers were outdated, but HP has since issued a 10.8 native installer. i uninstalled the software/drivers, and reinstalled with the upgrade with no change in scanning time.

i have already posted on the relevant forums of people in a position to fix this, but have gotten no replies. My question for this community is what causes this? It seems counter-intuitive to me.

Any ideas?

Just because HP has issued a 10.8 native installer does not mean that they don't still have bugs to work out. I'll bet HP is still lagging and they just put out that installer to keep people quiet while they scramble to get it fixed.

Thanks. That actually makes a lot of sense to me. i can understand these things take time to work out, and i'm not complaining about the lag or anything. It just seems strange to me that such a seemingly small thing like scanning has dramatically different results with an OS upgrade.

HP is notorious for abandoning past scanners. the rule to go by is if model is not currenly on the shelf there won't be an upgrade for it. in my own world 10.7 finally broke the driver for my HP scanner.

the other alternative is to have a scanning station powered by an old Mac (or Windows) with it's sole job of connecting paper to bits. then you know that a) it will always word B) that you won't have to screw with it ever again c) your scanner is future proof.

you could always try a 3rd party scanner tool. there are two alternatives: silverfast and hamrick.

Edited by johnfoster

Actually i am using another mac to scan. i connect via screen sharing to the Home Theater Mini (living room) and scan in my office for large jobs. i also have a bootable 10.7 drive for other occasions :)

there is no reason that the "scanner" mac has to stay current. it could run 10.5 or 10.6 and still be connectable to your more updated Macs.