Garvice

Region Free Dvd Player (Macbook Pro, Early 2011 Model)

Hello Everyone,

I have another question. :huh:

Is it safe or even possible to change a Macbook Pro, which naturally holds Region 1 dvd encoding....Into a Region 0 or Region Free dvd player?

By "safe" I mean---will it do harm to one's Macbook? I'm beyond my year warranty, and I didn't purchase the additional Apple Care plan this time. (I typically do, but I didn't have the extra money. )

Anyway, if anyone can help shed some light on this matter.... I'd be very grateful (even if it's just completely against the idea.) :)

Kind Regards,

Garvice2010

P.S. If it is possible and not harmful, please post directions or a link to clear directions.

Edited by Garvice
  • Like 3

If you use VLC (VideoLAN Client) as a player, the region is irrelevant. At least, that has been my experience with several different Macs.

So, first thing to do is go into System Preferences and set your "When I put in a video DVD" option to "Ignore"

Then, download and install VLC .

Then, use it to watch DVDs

Based on this Apple Tech Doc, you can change the region of your DVD drive up to 5 times. A quick search with Google brings up plenty of results - at least one of which should get you the info you want. All that said, I've never needed to do this and I have no experience with any of this hacking.

Finally, I trust Huskermn - if he said he's had success with VLC on a few Macs then that's probably your best bet.

Also, I don't think it's possible to alter the DVD drive in your Mac to make it Region 0 (but I could be wrong). You can switch between Region 1 and other regions 4 times and the last time it will be set for good. I looked for the kind of hacks available for other commercial drives without success and then found VLC made it unnecessary.

it's been years… when I had to deal with DVD Region issues my solution was to buy an external DVD reader that could be flashed with firmware that ignored the code.

Be aware that there are some other Region disks where this won't work. It had been so long since I did this, I decided I should confirm the viability.

Tried 5 Region 2 DVDs. All worked except my Brit copy of the Commitments. That did work on my Region Free JVC player.

Good luck.

Hello Everyone,

First, I want to thank Huskermn, Apple Geek, and johfoster for the quick replies to this topic. :)

I decided to give the VCL player another shot. (I've tried downloading it before, but never managed to get it to work.) This time around, I followed the directions as suggested, and I was able to play a Region 1 dvd just fine.

To be honest, I don't currently own anything other than region 1 releases. However, I been watching Korean dramas online for a long time and own approximately 9, which are the region 1 (US/Canada) release.

I'd really like to buy this: http://www.yesasia.c...-0-en/info.html It's one of my favorites, but I'm worried...between the price and the English Subtitle quality...I may have to wait until I know if/or when they might release it it for Region 1.

So, if I take the plunge....I'll be sure to report back. :)

Garvice2010

P.S. "The Commitments" is an Irish movie, right?

Edited by Garvice

Yep, Commitments is a great Irish movie about putting a band together. I now remember I bought a region 1 version before I bought my region free JVC player because VLC didn't work with it. But, VLC did work with the other 100+ region 2 DVDs I have.

If you use VLC (VideoLAN Client) as a player, the region is irrelevant. At least, that has been my experience with several different Macs.

On the other hand, this workaround never used to work with my PowerBook G4, and doesn't work with my current MacBook Pro, either. It does still depend on the exact brand/model of optical drive you have, IIRC.

Hi Everyone,

I didn't want you guys to think that I forgot about this this thread. B)

I'm still watching my (Region 1) releases of South Korean dramas. I have yet to buy any region 3 releases because I keep hearing that, given it's overall popularity, it will most likely have a region 1 release in the future.

It's very hard to say for sure, and I'm still fairly new to Korean dramas in general...So, at least for now, I'm willing to wait. If I want to watch it again so bad, I'll watch it here: http://www.dramafever.com/

With Regards,

Garvice2010

P.S. Using the VCL player, I've been teaching myself how to take screen caps. It's pretty easy. Also, I been debating about whether to start a blog. (Where I'd write about shows/movies and use screen cap pictures) but that's a still a long way off. There are a lot of blogs and there are people who have more expertise than me. ;)

Edited by Garvice

Hi Everyone,

So, this is what happened: I decided it wouldn't be smart to drop $100.00 on a dvd set. So, I decided to buy this:

http://www.hancinema.net/korean_movie_Come_v__Closer.php

It's a region 3 independent film--with the English translation of the title "Come, Closer."It arrived via eBay (from a video store in South Korea) and it played on my Macbook using the VLC player. So, if there's ever any doubt that at least some regions (outside of region 1) will play on your MacBook Pro...

It worked for me. ^_^

I finally got up the courage to buy a region 3 drama over the holiday. I bought the one featured here: http://www.hanbooks.com/ki2hembctvdr.html. When it was on sale for $96.00. It's still too much money. However, I'm watching each episode just fine on my Macbook Pro. (Via the VLC player.) :)