Huskermn

SSDs - do I need something special

I think the internal in my old Core 2 Duo iMac is waning. Can't really afford a whole new machine right now (and really not even interested). So, I'm thinking about getting an SSD to replace it. Do I need anything special or will pretty much any SSD work? For instance, would this one from TigerDirect work - http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2318705&csid=_61 ??

Thanks

• Like 3

any SSD will work. keep in mind you will not see the transfer speeds that the specs indicate because of the limitation of the older SATA spec inside the iMac.

Huskr, from what I've been seeing around the forums, it may depend on what OS X version you are running and whether or not the firmware of the specific SSD is compatible. There was one post, for example, on the TWiT forums where a member tried to place a 3rd party SSD into a Mac Pro. The SSD manufacturer said it was Mac compatible in the documentation, but it did not work ... and further investigation revealed there was a pending future firmware upgrade for the SSD that would make it so.

I would do a search on Youtube for upgrading your model iMac to an SSD and if there is a video, use the SSD make and model mentioned to be sure.

UPDATE: I just reffered back to that TWiT thread I was talking about ... poster was running Mountain Lion so John may be correct and you may be fine since you are running Snow Leopard. I'd still be cautious though.

Edited by Dolphbucs

once again… the Mac is not special. it's a computer like any other computer. you don't need "special Mac only" parts to make it go. that said, you do have to mind the specs of the parts that you are buying. for example you can't put "just any old RAM" in a Mac with expectations of it working. cheaper generic, meaning slower, RAM will be out of spec and won't work. this only helps propegate the "Mac is special" meme (aka MACs SUCK from that other camp).

in the case of hard drives and SSDs there isn't anything special about the SATA spec used to talk to them. this means that practically any device that you plug in will work. and if it doesn't work on you Mac it's likely not going to work on anything else because it's either D-EA-D or it's interface isn't time shifting to allow for the connection speed of the SATA bus. remember there are 3 versions 1.5, 3.0 and 6.0. taking the story about some TWiT that couldn't get a drive to work as the example it's possible that the maker did not test the drive on the slowest SATA which would be why a firmware update was issued. it might have worked fine on SATA3 or SATA2 interfaces but not the ancient SATA1 found on MacBook and MacBook Pro as late as 2009.

Apple is notorious for using a chipset long past it's useful life. USB2 didn't show up until the model just before the FLAT iMacs. meaning it took nearly 2 years after every other computer on the market had been shipping with USB2 to upgrade.

Edited by johnfoster