bigruss

MacBook Pro camera image is backwards, how do I switch it back to normal?

bigruss    0

I have a MacBook Pro 2010 vintage, running Mountain Lion, all updates performed, that has a strange problem with the camera. It seems the new iTunes 11 allows us to hold a redemption card in front of the camera, and it takes a picture, or something, and reads the redemption code so you don't have to type it in. On my computer, it does't work. After some playing with, I noticed that the image was backwards. If someone else can try it out, for me when I hold a card with writing on it, the text is like looking in a mirror. Left is on the right side, and right is on the left side. I launched FaceTime, and it was backwards. I launched FUNBOOTH and it does the same problem. Skype image is also backwards. My guess is a problem with the setup of the system operating system, or a preference problem. Anybody have an idea hot to get my images correct? I couldn't find anything to change it.

MacBook Pro

15-inch, Mid 2010

Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB

Software OS X 10.8.2 (12C60)

Calum    3

The mirror imaging in all those apps is deliberate. During video calls etc., they show you as if you were looking at yourself in a mirror because it's just how we're used to seeing ourselves, and it's very weird and disorientating to see yourself flipped the the 'right' way around. (The person on the other end of the Skype/FaceTime video call does see the image the right way around, and PhotoBooth saves the image the right way around unless you tell it not to.)

Likewise, in iTunes, I'd imagine (since we don't have that feature here yet) that you're shown the mirror image because it makes it much easier to line up the card with the camera: if it's out of shot to the right, you instinctively move the card to your left. That wouldn't be the case if you were seeing the image the right way around.

The camera, of course, is still seeing the image the right way around, so I suspect whatever problem you're having is unrelated. We'd need more details to be able to help, though… what errors are you getting (if any), what is the ambient lighting like when you're trying it, etc.

Edited by Calum
  • Like 1

johnfoster    48

iGlasses is one way.

the other is to use the Auto Flip control in the Photobooth menu.

yM5Mq.png

Edited by johnfoster

Hi, I agree with your suggestion for image processing on this case: "the other is to use the Auto Flip control in the Photobooth menu."

To solve image backwards issue, of course, mirror or flip image should be considered.

Best regards,

Susanna