joenspa

May dump iTunes Match. What should I do?

joenspa    26

I'm just not seeing much of a benefit from iTunes Match. From what I understand it got me 2 things. One better quality copies of some of my songs and two put all my music in the cloud so I could access it anywhere. As long as I have internet. My problem is quite often I am without internet while traveling abroad or even sometimes inside the buildings I am working in. If they let me sync some playlists over too that would help. Are those the only 2 benefits of iTunes Match? Am I missing something? If I do cancel do I need to do anything to be sure I don't lose my music?

Thanks for any opinions.

• Like 1

Apple Geek    15

I've never (and have no current plans to) cancelled my iTunes Match subscription so I'm just going by guesses here but I would think that as long as you have the songs physically downloaded to your machine (a Mac, not an iOS device), you won't lose anything after cancelling your service. Your library will just go back to the way it was before subscribing.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Playlist syncing is part of the service. I can see my playlists on my iPhone.

Further clarification from Apple's site:

What happens if I don’t resubscribe after the first year? Will I lose any upgraded songs?

No. Any songs you’ve upgraded or downloaded again are completely safe. The only thing you lose is the central storage — iCloud will no longer stream or download matched or uploaded songs to your devices.

joenspa    26

My playlists have synced but not the actual songs on those lists. However I have just found where you can one button download the whole playlist's material. Now I'm thinking I might keep it. Thanks though.