fizzyfizz

Wanted: Cloud storage without the syncing!

fizzyfizz    9

Does anyone know of a simple online storage solution which does NOT sync everything across multiple machines?

EG, I have about 200GB of files that I currently access when I'm out and about from my home server. If my house burns down, the files will be lost. All I want is a simple service where I can transfer these files to a location that's more secure. If there was an option to be able to mount a 'virtual drive' on my desktop even better as ideally I'd like regular access to these files. Services offered by the likes of Crashplan which offer a 'back up and forget' strategy do not appeal.

It appears there's many online storage/cloud storage solutions available but I'm yet to find one that offers this relatively simply service!

To be clear, I have no interest in any of the syncing services the likes of Dropbox and Google Drive offer (unless there is a way of turning off syncing but still being able to see my files)

THANKS

Edited by fizzyfizz
  • Like 9

Apple Geek    15

Sounds like you just need an FTP server to throw the files on. You'd have to pay but it would get your files offsite and you could access them anywhere. Maybe AmazonS3?

johnfoster    47

rsync should be your new best friend. it's a powerful command line tool. you could run it on a remote server connecting to your server or run this on your server to a remote server. after you get it working add the command to CRON or whatever is handling your over and over dispatching. here is an example that I use:

rsync -avz -e ssh directory john@36.36.216.255:/Volumes/drive/folder

if you need a big fat storage place make an account on DreamHost put a domain there then take advantage of unlimited unlimited for 9 bucks a month.

pwbeninate    0

You might also want to check out Bitcasa. They offer unlimited storage without the need to maintain a local copy. I've tried it out and found it generally unpolished, but functional. So if all you need is a big dumping ground, it may work for you.

http://bitcasa.com/

Chefpyro116    1

Either file transporter.com or look into WD MyCloud systems. I have a 2 TB MyCloud I bought for Christmas for $130 and it works great. I can stream my music files and photos from anywhere. Just need to access your router and plug it in. After initial setup and uploading your files, you can give other people access to it, limiting their input and what they can see, it works great. Just a thought. Hope this helps.

Jeremy

Calum    3

Google Drive and Dropbox can both selectively sync only the folders you tell them to on any given desktop machine... e.g. I back up my Android phones to my Google Drive, but those backups never appear on my Mac when my Drive is synced with that, though I can access them from the Drive web app if I need to to.

I've never used selective sync in Dropbox but I assume it works similarly.

Edited by Calum

Huskermn    33

Or, you could do what I do every month and use SuperDuper to clone my drive (you would clone your server) to a 2TB portable drive that I take to work and leave in my desk. Or have a friend or relative keep the drive from month to month.