Sign in to follow this  

System Log Automatic Reporting

Although the first version of FileVault - i.e. which runs on 10.3 to 10.6 - can easily be broken into (look) my wife and I have it implemented on our accounts on our 10.6 Macs. She's notoriously bad at remembering to log out every day so that her account is backed up - despite it being used for work - and every week I make sure she does so. More often than not I then check the System Log to establish whether the backup worked and discovered recently that disk i/o errors were compromising it. Here's what I saw...

12/05/2013 12:26:42 kernel disk0s2: I/O error.
12/05/2013 12:26:42 com.apple.backupd[1088] Error: (-36) SrcErr:YES Copying /Users/{user.name}/{user.name}.sparsebundle/bands/1137 to (null)

Research showed that the chances were that the (SATA) drive was failing yet one forum thread post - purportedly by an Apple-accredited technician - showed that the impending and inevitable may be delayed by performing a format with a "Zero Out Data". So, after doing both a drive clone and a manual backup - each to different drives and, of course, not to the Time Machine one - I did that and then restored the system from the Time Machine backup with the critical data from the manual backup being overlaid onto it. (The manual backups showed the likely only area where data was affected - and lost - that, thankfully, being limited to a bunch of podcasts in iTunes which she no longer wanted.) A cursory check that all was well was made and I then created a Time Machine backup - one to an alternative drive to the previous one so that the whole system was backed up - and no i/o errors were reported in the System Log.

I plan to replace the drive (with a Solid State one) sooner rather than later - which is probably going to be next month - and in the meantime I wondered if there was a method (ideally via Automator) that I could use to frequently check the System Log for such errors and report them if such arise. Ideally this would be done in my wife's account - which is not an Administrator one - as that would be the one usually logged into when the Mac is used.