jerry_krinock

Bogus Email Suggestions when Addressing Message in Mail.app SOLVED

I have many old messages that have wrong (were never delivered) or changed emaill addresses from people. When I begin to type one of their names in the address field, several of the bogus email addresses show up along with the correct one. I wish that Mail.app had a way for me to tell it to "forget" these, or maybe a preference to Only suggest email addresses in Contacts when addressing messages. Or maybe just do that. Or maybe show the ones in Contacts first, followed by a separator, followed the others dredged out of old email messages.

Does anyone know a workaround?

Apple Geek    15

I think this is one of the most frustrating things about Mail.app. Luckily though, there's a fix! It's just well hidden for whatever reason.

Window menu> Previous Recipients. From there you can delete any address that isn't valid. This should solve your issue!

You are correct, Geek. It works just as you say.

The Window menu! And the name Previous Recipients List! I think my idea of the Only suggest email addresses in Contacts when addressing messages would have been much better, but life goes on. Knowing the magic words, I was now able to find an Apple Knowledge Base Article on the topic, which also explains another way to do it using the contextual menu. It implies that maybe this feature was added in Mac OS X 10.7.

Thanks, Geek.