Waldo Pepper

AppleTV and the HDCP Error

Hi,

There is a huge topic over at the Apple Communities but I thought i'd ask here as I always get great responses and fixes.

Occasionally I used to get this error on my Apple TV 2. I used to just restart it and it would then go for weeks before having to do it again.

Something happened recently or something changed because as of about 2 weeks ago my Apple TV is almost useless with anything that streams.

I can watch content through iTunes (Home sharing) no problem, but when I try to access Netflix, Hulu, or stream via Airplay I get this dreaded error "This content requires HDCP".

I've changed the HDMI cable, swapped the cable around, connect directly to the TV etc and nothing seems to work!

The ATV is connected via ethernet to the Time Capsule. The TC is using 7.6.4 which was just updated a few days ago (I was hoping there would be a fix in the update).

Anybody else having this issue with the ATV?

Cheers

Glenn

johnfoster    48

how old is the TV / LCD / display?

The TV is about 8 years old (Pioneer PDP-435HDG, 43" Plasma).

I've had the ATV2 plugged in to it and working great for years.

This is what is perplexes me, nothing has changed, yet all of a sudden I cannot view Netflix, Hulu, or Airplay anything! The only thing I can do is watch content that is stored in iTunes.

I have 3 HDMI cables in the cupboard, I've tried all of them, switched them around etc to no avail. I'm starting to wonder if something has happened to the TV tuner?

Cheers

Glenn

Huskermn    33

The Apple Knowledge base indicates the problem might be the need for a firmware update for the HDTV

johnfoster    48

the TV is the problem. it's old and may not support all the newest DRM detections required by the content flingers.