Sign in to follow this  
Mr Nice

What format do you use for saving songs in itunes?

Hi

What format do you use for saving your tracks then?What do you find works best and what format allows you to save the most tracks on your iPod?

Also is it possible to convert your music from one format to another?

I have 1292 songs which takes up 13.97GB of disk space on my iPod

AAC is most certainly the way to go. Right click and click "convert to AAC".

If it says "Convert to [another format]", do this:

Press CTRL+[comma] (or APPLE+[comma] on a Mac) and then go to Advanced>Importing and then in the drop-down menu, choose AAC.

Note: This is for iTunes 5. In previous versions, Importing has its own tab.

I'm in the process of converting my entire library from MP3 to AAC 128kbps to make some extra room on my incoming iPod nano. An example of how much more efficient AAC compression is...

A song that is 4:05 in length, in MP3 222kbps (VBR), it takes up 6.7 MB. In AAC, it takes up only 3.9 MB. So, you're saving almost 50% of your hard disk space for certain songs (depends on compression). From my tests, it sounds identical to songs encoded in MP3, although I'm not an audiophile.

Is it a good idea to convert existing MP3s to AAC, or is it better to re-import tracks from CD as AAC?

It doesn't really matter, but I'd just convert existing mp3s to AACs because it's faster.

Is it a good idea to convert existing MP3s to AAC, or is it better to re-import tracks from CD as AAC?

It's probably better to reimport, albeit more time consuming. I'm not an expert, but by converting, you're compressing an already compressed file -- leading to sound quality problems. If your ears don't notice the difference, then convert away! :P

It's probably better to reimport, albeit more time consuming. I'm not an expert, but by converting, you're compressing an already compressed file -- leading to sound quality problems. If your ears don't notice the difference, then convert away! :P

That's what I figured.

I probably wouldn't used to have noticed, but more and more my ears seem to be getting more discerning.