bigruss

Dropir, A new SCAM on the Rise????

Topic was suppose to be DROPIR A NEW SCAM ON THE RISE, sorry for the power spell checker on my computer, and the maccast will not allow me to edit the title.

Well, advertised as a free way to store your date, I purchased a pair of Dropir units. I just got this email form the Dropir people:

Droplr began as an idea between two geeks who wanted an easy way to share files with each other. So we set aside some weekends and evenings and built an app that could do just that. Over the last few years what began as a simple free Mac App, has grown into a great company dedicated to creating the best possible way to share files.

As a Droplr user you’ve been a part of that journey. We can't thank you enough.

Next week we will release some exciting new features to Droplr that we’ve been working on for a long time and that many of you have been asking us for. At that time, we will be discontinuing our free accounts. All current free accounts and new sign ups will be placed on a 30-day trial. At the end of 30 days, you’ll be asked to pay for a Droplr subscription if you'd like to continue using it. If you don’t want to pay, you won’t be able to upload any more files, but none of your existing data will be deleted, and all of your links will continue to work.

As a special thank you for being a Droplr user we are also going to offer you a 30% lifetime discount on any of our paid plans. We’ll have 2 plans to choose from, Droplr Lite and Droplr Pro. Additionally, we’ll be announcing a new referral program where you can earn Droplr Pro for free.

For those of you using this at work with your teams, we’ll also be announcing new business-level plans. We'll be sharing more about all this in a following email in a few days.

We’re incredibly excited about our future. We’re extremely grateful to you for being a part of Droplr’s success. We hope that you’ll join us as we continue to build the future of file sharing.

Sincerely,
Josh & Levi, Droplr Co-Founders

So in esence, it appears i now have to pay for my service to use a device that was advertised as free if I purchased their product. At least that is what I am reading. Anybody out there read the same thing? This is borderline scam, if I now have to pay for what was free. I am now stuck with hardware that can't be used for anything else. The worst of the whole thing, is I purchased these devices on the advertising as heard on MacCast. Not that MacCast has anything to do with the information they receive, but I think Adam should at least offer some air time to slam these people for offering one thing, and then pulling the hardware out from under us users, and now forcing us to pay.

If I read the notice that we have to pay for the service wrong, someone please tell me what I missed.

Russ

Edited by bigruss

I fixed the title.

But, I'm confused as I see nothing in their literature about hardware devices. It sounds like an encrypted cloud storage/sharing solution. Are you talking about Pogoplug devices?

because why not I google'd "Droplr hardware", "droplr device", "dropler appliance", "droplr 1.0" and a few other variations including just "droplr" and did NOT find any mention of hardware. as near as I can tell it's just software. what I did find was an article about the funding Droplr secured in 2013. it's tiny money. here's the link.

given the cost of servers or services to run this thing they made that they were giving away for free they would have burned through this money about now or very soon. they have no choice but to end the free ride. what will happen is they will convert about 10% of the "free users" to paid accounts and lose the rest. their costs will fall but they won't have enough revenue to survive the long haul. look for them to close or get bought then closed in the next 6 months.

as to whether or not developers switching to a paid model is a scam or not the bottom line is that developers need to have revenue from somewhere to pay the bill. a lot of these guys were really good at raising money from investment using impossible numbers to make a case for why they needed 120 million for a stuff sharing social app. the idea of course is to slowly add in premium features charging users incrementally for those benefits. this is the model for roughly 70% of new software. the free not free model depends on hooking the user then dangling a better dollar upgrades. this is what made Zinga millions so everyone thought they could do it too.

there was a story about a photo archiving tool that users loved. the company promised they would take care of their precious pictures for FREE or for $10 without verts. or whatever the model was. it doesn't matter. the problem? too many people didn't convert to not free. and advertising doesn't pay like it used to. thus, they burned their investors money paying the bills to keep Amazon running.

here it is…

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/5/5039216/everpix-life-and-death-inside-the-worlds-best-photo-startup