computiNATEor

Using an off-contract Verizon iPhone 4 on a different account

I am currently stuck in the past with a 4th-gen iPod touch that runs slowly and won't run iOS 7, and a cheap Samsung "feature" (dumb) phone with a broken keyboard. :wacko:

I have a friend who has an iPhone 4 from Verizon (my carrier) whose contract has expired. They have no use for the phone, and have offered it to me.

My question is whether or not I can have the iPhone unlocked, then replace my feature phone and iPod with the iPhone without changing my family's current cell phone plan (700 shared minutes, unlimited texts, no data for 4 people, all using feature phones).

Will Verizon require a data plan to have an unlocked smartphone replace another phone on the plan?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Nate

johnfoster    48

all the carriers in the US require "smart phones" to have a data plan for subscribers with contracts. you can add the iPhone by replacing the IMEI of one of your current phones with the iPhone IMEI. the plan you have should NOT change with the exception of adding the cost of the data. the website should give you an idea of cost. because you aren't adding a "subsidized" phone adding it should not reset your current contract for TWO more years.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/nso/enterDeviceId.do

Ah, I forgot to mention that our cellular contract expired at the end of last year, and we have just kept our plan constant. Does this mean we won't need a data plan?