Sign in to follow this  
hurleyint1386

Long time since I was here!

Wow. I joined in 2005 and was last active 2007. I remember listening to the MacCast when we were still talking about the new Apple phone with iTunes built in (Motorola Rokr). Forums here look to be pretty bleak. I thought I'd throw this out to anyone that may come across it. I'm looking to start doing Mac Mini colocation. I currently help run a web hosting company where we offer rack mount server colocation and I'd like to give this a shot. If this is something you may be interested in, please comment below!

You're right about the bleakness of the forums. I used to make a point of popping in at least once a week - once a day if I was contributing - but as it's so low on posts it can be as much as a month between visits.

I know little about colocation (only the concept) but do chip in with updates. If nothing else you may well get a useful thread running with the contribution of John Foster. In fact it's almost his one man show here.

johnfoster    48
mini colocation! excellent.

although these days I'm more likely going to use a server from
  1. it all depends on what my client wants to run, how it's going to scale, and their budget. sometimes you need something that is reassuringly expensive. sometimes you have to go with a name because they've heard of that place even though the where and the who doesn't matter because tech is tech. and everyone has triple redundant redundant redundant because that's what data centers demand. I'll leave you to figure out how to make that switch work best…

my current ongoing battle is with Drupal in finding the ideal setup. the problem is configuring Apache to deal with drupal's big memory footprint. it will run fast fast for a while then die into slowness. restarting apache using cron sort of fixes this but that's a DUMB fix. for whatever reason the community is not forthcoming in what the ideal settings / distro should be. this makes me never want to use drupal as a CMS ever again. but clients demand it because they know it. grrr…