Sign in to follow this  
computiNATEor

Manual Backup Eating All Storage Space

I'm taking my iPhone 4 (16GB, GSM) into the Apple Store tomorrow to see if I can get the battery replaced. As per Apple's recommendation, I did a full, manual backup to my computer.

When I back up my iPhone to my computer manually (I normally use the iCloud backup), however, I notice that suddenly all of the free space on the device evaporates. Nothing new was added; in fact, I wiped my camera roll (which had about 800 MB of pics/vids in it) and ran the back up again, and it all disappeared. 3.4 whole GB are now eaten up by the "Other" category, easily three times larger than it was before.

I would really appreciate a solution, as it has made it impossible for me to download podcasts. :-(

Thanks,

Nate

Sorry for the double-post; the website locked up and didn't respond, so I tried it again, only to realize the first went through.

How do you go about deleting a topic?

Never mind, I seem to have found a solution. I forced iTunes to "recalculate" the amount of "Other" space by using this Cult Of Mac article. The second tip (holding the buttons) was the only one I tried, as iTunes no longer has the "Open iTunes when this iPhone is connected" option." I tried the following:

"Launch iTunes if it doesn’t do so automatically, and then hold the Home and the Wake/Sleep button on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch until it reboots. The screen will show the “Slide to Power Off” slider, then go dark, and then the little apple logo will show up after what seems like a long time. Be patient and keep those buttons held down. While you may need to relaunch iTunes to see any change, this should also have the effect of forcing iTunes to recalculate the Other Category for you."

I did need to restart iTunes, and it seemed to take a minute longer to make the iPhone selectable in the sidebar. Once I selected the phone, the Other category adjusted itself from the 3.4 GB it had been to a much more reasonable 1 GB.

Hooray for defeating the mysterious "Other" category!

It's getting to the point now that I am ready to pay for iTunes Match just to stop the terrible syncing between iOS devices and iTunes. It is that bad.

Nate

Edited by computiNATEor

johnfoster    48

the battery in an iPhone 4 is trivial to replace. you can buy a new one for under $10. it takes about 10 minutes to install.

link to the steps:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+4+Battery+Replacement/3141

link to a battery:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005Q720F0/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B005Q720F0&linkCode=as2&tag=johnplanet-20&linkId=I2MC47JMSYDH3YEC