Sign in to follow this  
Tobin Anthony

Maccast Podcast showing up empty on Podcasts app

I am a Maccast member and subscribe to the podcast feed via iTunes. I can listen to the podcast easily on my Mac. However, in my Podcasts app, I recently noticed that the Maccast Feed is empty. I cannot see any new episodes and I cannot even see the feed (past episodes). I have synced the iPhone to my iTunes using a USB cable (normally wifi) but the situation is unchanged.

This probably happened around the time I upgraded my iPhone 4s to iOS 8 so there may well be a tie-in. Is anyone else seeing behavior like this?

Thanks in advance

I've not tried the Podcasts app in a long time as I didn't like the early versions and with me able to continue to use the Music app to play them on my iPhone 3GS my podcasts were downloaded to my Mac via iTunes and synced from there. Although I recently bought an iPhone 4S it suited me to continue using the 3GS so and not to have any media on the 4S. Still, in view of the issue raised in the original post I launched the Podcasts app on the 4S - running iOS 8.0.2 - and on subscribing to the MacCast (Enhanced Edition) via that fifty shows were shown. So, I'm not able to recreate the issue.

Thanks for the recreate. I have no problem subscribing to the Enhanced edition of iTunes. However, I'm having trouble subscribing to the Member edition. I apologize for not making that clear in the original post. I subscribe to the Member's edition in iTunes on my Mac and it shows up on my iPhone - but with no episodes and nothing in the feed.

This seems new to iOS 8.

Keep in mind that the Member's edition is not in the iTunes podcast catalog and is available via a special feed.

Thanks again.

Ah, yes, apologies as you did specify - albeit without a capital - perhaps why I missed it. I've long been thinking about subscribing to the Members service and this thread finally persuaded me to do it - though as someone with an iPad 2, an iPhone 4S and a Mid 2007 Mac mini running Snow Leopard my guess is that I won't get a lot out of it - hence I'm doing the month to month thing and will see whether it's worth it after three. (It's my first ever paid podcast by the way.) Anyway, I got the latest Members show - 181 - in my iTunes library and synced that and all my other free (mainly BBC) podcasts to my 4S. (I opted for the latest only as I do on my 3GS.) I found the same scenario with the Members show - it not affecting the (free) BBC ones - and with me not having any other paid-for ones nor an iOS 7 device running the Podcasts app it's impossible for me to say whether that's right or wrong. (Maybe that's the way it's supposed to work - though your experience suggests not - and given that the feed is visible in iTunes with past shows back to 93 available it does seem odd.) Still, at least you know you're not alone.

Edited by Harry_The_Bustard

MacCast    80

I have discovered that to subscribe to the Maccast Member feed on iOS now the best way is to visit the Member site (http://member.maccast.com) and log in. Then access the 'Podcast Feeds' section and copy the feed URL you want to use (in the iTunes section below the link). Then paste that into Safari on the iPhone. When you do that it will ask you to authenticate and then open the Podcast app and subscribe you to the Membership feed.

A side note to my subscription test - and not really about this thread topic itself - concerns what I got. The "blurb" page says there will be an episode - or more - a week but I've come to realise that it's once a month so is not worth it. As such I've cancelled my subscription and will instead direct it to an animal charity - actually specifically Snow Leopards - they being just as endangered as we 10.6.8 users.