sdsteven

Going back to Mavericks

sdsteven    3

Is it possible to reinstall to Mavericks. I have a 13" macbook pro early 2011 and the update to Yosemite has slowed it down measurably. Even on restart, I am waiting 7to 8 minutes for everything to load.

Thanks ahead of time for any help provided.

Rogier    3

Its not Yosemite. You need at least 4GB of memory for 10.9 or 10.10

Most likely your HD is going south....

I installed it on the next-released model (lower end) and had no problems. (It was recently lent to me for a week to play with - my first real experience with anything beyond Snow Leopard which my Mac mini and the wife's run.) Having said that here are loud noise spikes when trying to make a 'phone call using the Continuity service via my paired iPhone 4S - something I'm still troubleshooting - the step being to try my wife's iPhone 4S and a different wireless network. (We have two - albeit one bridged to the other - but I'll try it on someone else's several kilometres away when I get chance to visit.) The system requirements for Yosemite Sam (as I like to call it) is covered here and that reckons one can get away with 2GB of memory. Interestingly, perhaps, the technical specifications index page for the MacBook Pro (here) shows the Yosemite Sam wallpaper from the model since the one I (temporarily) have despite the system requirements page given above showing the rather curious combined "Mid/Late 2007" ones being capable of running it.

Edited by Harry_The_Bustard

Calum    3

Here's a Macworld article on how to go back to Mavericks.

You're not the only one, I've heard a few people complain that, for the first few hours at least (while it's indexing and who knows what else), Yosemite is a bit of a dog on their machines. Might be worth persevering for a day or two to see if it improves, though your case sounds more extreme than any I've heard so far.

Edited by Calum

The MacBook Pro that I borrowed (see earlier) came with Lion and as mentioned (in my earlier post) I put Yosemite Sam on there to play with. Having done so for a week I came to roll it back to Lion (not least as the lender planned to flog it on FleaBay) and my goodness what a chore. I found this resource but what it doesn’t tell you is how to run OS X Internet Recovery without deleting the Recovery Partition. (It’s Command+Option+R and I have politely “fed back” to Apple about this.) The good thing about that OS is that it doesn’t require the installing geek to sign into the App Store – i.e. with their Apple credentials – and so link them to the device as one has to do with Yosemite Sam. (I suspect it may have started with a previous OS to 10.10.) I say "good" as I don't like the idea of installing an operating system after entering my Apple credentials when the device is to be sold on as whilst I know a user account would not be created (I'd be following this guide) it still seems odd. (It wasn't fun shaking the device off in iCloud after signing into that on there - a different thing, I know, but not easy.) It actually took three attempts to get where I needed to be - the first two failing for different reasons - one giving a pointer to a "no-recovery" page on the Apple site which was no use at all. Despite these three attempts - and the several hours each took as it downloaded the 5 GB or so it needed - I'm actually going to reinstall Yosemite Sam as I want to play some more now. Before even starting the set up process, however, I'm going to clone the drive via FireWire on another Mac using "Super Duper!" and will use as my play area. Well, at least that's the plan. I'll also follow this guide so that I have a means of installing a Recovery Partition on the internal drive should the need arise - my guess being that it will as the clone will only be of the OS installation partition - Yosemite Sam presumably updating the Recovery Partition when installed.

Edited by Harry_The_Bustard

In respect of the original post... the latest show (20141030) has a chapter on this subject.

As for my roll back (a long way) experience... I managed to clone the "ready to roll" OS partition - i.e. with Lion on it - though not the recovery partition as "SuperDuper!" doesn't do that. (I gather the latter can be done with the likes of CCC and in other ways.) However, I did generate one on an external (flash) drive which I planned to restore, using some voodoo I found, after putting Yosemite on again (and having a play) then rolling back to Lion using the clone when I needed to return the device. As it was I didn't get chance to try that as my broadband went down (a rare event) and by the time it came back up again I didn't have time to do so before the owner came around for it. (I could have done everything without the Internet - or even have used the 3G service on my iPhone - but was too busy swapping out the broadband equipment to see if it was that at fault.) He was happy to do the Internet Recovery thing himself and went away happy.

sdsteven    3

Thanks all. I agree with Rogier. My MacBook only boots in safe mode now. I have 4GB of ram but when I restart, all I get is the grey screen status bar with the Apple logo