Sign in to follow this  
johnfoster

STOP UPGRADING!

johnfoster    47

every single time a new upgrade comes out there are dozens of IT DOES NOT WORK ANYMORE posts. the solution is… stop upgrading. no really. stop it. you had a working thing yesterday why in the whole wide world would you want to break that. you know that every single time there is an DOT OH release that everyone posts problems looking for solutions or guesses on how to fix it.

did you reboot?

did you fix the permissions three times?

ZAP the PRAM.

that SMC reset thing.

no. No. NO. do not do any of that. instead, the next time something comes out just wait. let somebody else be the pioneer.

Edited by johnfoster

Good advice. I slapped iOS 8 on my iPad 2 and iPhone 4S as soon as possible as I could not wait. I also put the further updates on not much after they came out. Too impetuous. My wife, though, held off for at least a

week with each and is still not on 8.1. (She too has an iPad 2 and iPhone 4S.) I'd like to think it's because she uses hers for business but it's more to do with the fact she's a typical female - i.e. not interested in the latest bells and whistles - though she likes to shake and blow them when she gets them. (She's also incredibly lazy.) Chief Mac Geek (Adam) said in the latest show he was holding off Yosemite until it settled down. I bunged it on a borrowed MacBook Pro just to try it out (see here) and it seemed fine in the limited time I had it. Mind you I didn't do a lot on there. As the latest show, er, showed there were plenty of others suffering. For my part (see my related thread on old iThings here) I'm finally going to install Lion on my "oldest of the capable few" Mid 2007 Mac mini - upgrading it from Snow Leopard - something one can buy from the App Store. Now that's what I call waiting.

Edited by Harry_The_Bustard

sdsteven    3

I agree!! I upgraded to OS Yosemite and it worked good for a couple of days. NOW, it only boots in safe mode. Tried zapping pram. Can you go backwords and reinstall 10.9? Any help would be appreciated. I am using a 2011 13" MacBook Pro.

johnfoster    47

here is a friendly reminder about upgrading. if you have a choice: don't.

It all depends on whether you "need" new features. I loathe the latest Skype interfaces (all devices) but "had to" upgrade in order to avoid file transfer problems following them moving that to the cloud.

johnfoster    47

> It all depends on whether you "need" new features.

I need features to work. so I'm less inclined to bump to a new version when things are working. and I'm very NOT interested in upgrades that take features away. I have never woke up in the AM and said, "you know, I'd like fewer options from here on…"

johnfoster    47

iOS 9. nope. wait for the dot. ALWAYS wait for the dot.

johnfoster    47

the reports are coming in that 10.11 breaks production workflows. specifically music, audio, and Abode tools. if you are making money with your Mac you owe it to yourself to keep making what you have working work exactly like it does today by NOT upgrading your OS.

repeat after me… DO NOT UPGRADE.