Sign in to follow this  
Börkur Jónsson

Downgrading from Yosemite to Snow Leopard

So I got a iMac 2007 with 3 GB of ram. This machine has always been updated to the latest os and getting slower after each update. Now the machine has been slowed down to the point it's barely usable. I want to downgrade all the way to snow leopard since that seems to be preferable for these older machines. So I created a bootable partition with the snow leopard install cd on a partition on an external hard drive I have but when I boot up the partition I get a message that " Mac os X can't be installed on this computer" and I only get an option to restart or restore from a time machine. I can't open up disk utility or any other app during the install since they are all greyed out and the only thing i can do is press restart. Any tips?

johnfoster    48

Disk Utility should be accessible from ANY OS X installer DVD or boot disk. you will find it the one of the menus above that big INSTALL ME box. from there format the internal disk and install away.

sdsteven    3

I have a 2011 macbook pro 13" and since 10.10.2, it has slowed to a crawl often giving me the pop up " your system has run out of memory please quit some running programs" and "the finder" is the only option I have to force quit. I have maxed out the ram at 4 gigs. How can I downgrade to 10.10.1? I was running ok then. Thank you ahead of time for any help you give me.