Sign in to follow this  
kimgh

New Photos app and iCloud photo vs. photo stream

kimgh    22

Now that the new Photos app is out and we can use iCloud Photos, is there any reason to continue using Photo Stream? Really the question is: will photos I take on my iPhone automatically upload when only iCloud Photo is on? Or is photo stream needed as well?

johnfoster    47

if you have something that is working right now maybe the thing to do is keep using it and hold off an upgrade.

kimgh    22

Hi, John:

In this case, it's too late. I've been eagerly awaiting the new Photos app since it was first announced, and there was little chance I would not upgrade immediately.

What I've noticed is: contrary to the reviews I read based on the beta version by David Pogue and others who said that Photos and iPhoto would both work once Photos was installed, the fact is that iPhoto is Gone Baby, Gone!

Also, in partial answer to my own question, the Preferences screen for iCloud photos is hinting that Photo Stream will continue to work with devices that don't have iCloud Photos turned on. So I'm guessing that Apple is going to one day deprecate Photo Stream and it will eventually disappear.

So unless someone else has different/better information, I suppose I am answered.

iPhoto was replaced by Photos in the Dock in my account - and appeared in that of the Dock in other accounts where it was not used - but was still in Applications and so could not only be run still but also re-added to the Dock. I forget what happened on first run of Photos - i.e. whether it gave me the chance to import the pictures in my default iPhotos Library - but whatever the case I have it running with a very small set so far so I can get to grips with it.

kimgh    22

For me, iPhoto is just not working anymore. Yes there is still the application in the applications folder, but it's xed out and when I try to launch it says that it is not compatible with Yosemite. Which I think is strange because it was working before I did the update to 10.10.3 . I'm given an opportunity to search the applications app for a new version that works, but then the app says there is no such animal anymore. So I conclude that iPhoto is gone baby gone.

I'm not too sad about all of this. The new photos app works beautifully. But I thought I was going to be able to use iPhoto in parallel for some time and I'm a little bit miffed find out that's not the case.

• Like 1

Mine is version 9.6.1 - the one issued last month - perhaps the only one which works on 10.10.3. Still, even that would be odd. Post your version number so that others might check. Whatever the case I've little doubt it has been pulled now Photos is out - always annoying - in the same way that pre-iOS 8 apps can't always be obtained for older devices despite the older versions still working. Find My Friends is an example - I having it on my iPhone 3GS up until last September when I (finally) got around to upgrading - my mum not being able to get it after I handed it down to her and, of course, she put her own stamp on it. Still, she's not that bothered as at her time of life - her mid-Seventies - calls and messages are all she really needs though Find My iPhone has come in handy once or twice when she's mislaid it.

Edited by Harry_The_Bustard

kimgh    22

I think I'm out of luck. I have 9.6 on both my macs and evidently it's too late to upgrade. Really wish apple would not be so quick to pull the plug without a warning. I was misled by more than one review of Photos. I missed some fine print somewhere!

That's a shame. It would be good if you knew someone with 9.6.1 from where you can simply copy it in - though I doubt that's possible due to Apple apps having the Mac owner's Apple ID stamped on it preventing such. I for one would be disappointed as there are features in iPhoto such as Place assignment (and alteration) which I need as I'm slowly adding pre-digital images - i.e. scans of slides and prints - over time.

kimgh    22

I might be able to get it from my wife's laptop, now I think of it.

I agree: loss of location tagging is an issue, and I hope it won't take long for that to be restored. I'm doing the same thing you are: adding slides and prints, though I am mostly done now.

I think once the pix are in Photos, though, you are out of luck tagging locations in iPhoto, as changes won't transfer over ( from what I understand). So I think we have to wait for tagging to be added to Photos.

I've yet to transfer any pictures with manually-added locations but a quick test just now with a single image shows that one has to export them from iPhoto - with "Location information" chosen - in order to get that information embedded. (I guess it's always been that way.) From what I can see there's no way of adding the images from multiple iPhoto libraries to Photos without having separate Photos libraries so that seems to be the only way to get that information over after the first time it's used to import. Exactly what goes over in the "first time" usage of Photos and the importation of an iPhoto library is covered here.

macboer    1

I for one am really enjoying Photos.app

Also a bit miffed about iPhoto being gone but I feel much more at home in Photos. So much easier to edit my photos.

Plus SO MUCH EASIER to drag a bunch of photos out. For some reason I couldn't drag photos out of iPhoto.

Edited by macboer

kimgh    22

Adam pointed me to the fact that even if iPhotos is not available, it should still be in your purchased list in the Applications app. I moved the old iPhoto to the trash and then clicked the update button for iPhotos, and it downloaded and installed, and it works. The version number is 9.6.1. So all is not lost if you failed to update.

Ceoltoir    16

I've been running Photos for the past week or so. I have not turned on iCloud photos, and the pictures I take on my iPhone have been syncing to Photos without plugging in the iPhone.