sdsteven    3

Hello.

I currently have an early 2011 MacBook Pro . I am considering upgrading to a 512GB Solid State Drive and maxing out the RAM to 16 GB. My question is, will this upgrade help much with the performance speed because the newer operating systems are more processing intensive? And with Sierra coming out in the future, should I just keep saving up for a new MacBook?

Thank you ahead of time for any guidance you can give me.

Huskermn    33

I've got a mid-2011 i5 iMac that I bumped the RAM from 4GB to 12GB and got a nice performance boost. Running El Cap just fine.

johnfoster    48

the days of that Mac's hard drive are numbered given the age. most drives are over and out after three years of use. so replacing sooner should be your plan NOW. the SSD will make your old Mac feel like a new Mac. so even if you are eye'n a new Mac for the future you OWE IT TO YOURSELF to run with an SSD until that day.

as always, make sure you have a back up plan. otherwise there WILL be a day when that hardware hits the wall and everything will be gone.

RAM… depending on what you are doing there is little performance gains above 8G. unless you are running Photoshop with a HUGE History while editing MASSIVE layered images for PRINT resolution or you keep a gabillion tabs open in your three browsers (why do people work this way?) anyway, it does not hut to have ALL the RAM. you might as well put it in there while you are adding the SSD.

sdsteven    3

Thank you for your input johnfoster and huskermn. Now I just have to compare between SSD's. I am looking at the

Samsung 500GB 2.5 SATA III Solid State Drive 850 EVO and the Crucial MX200 500GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal SSD. Have you had any experience with these?

johnfoster    48

your old 2011 MBP has SATA II. it will run either SSD at full tilt but never MAX tilt of what the either is capable.

I have used both Crucial and Samsung SSDs without issue. so far the only reason to retire either has been to upgrade to something larger.

flip a coin. or buy the cheaper drive.