TerryB

NAS Newbie -can I believe all I read?

4 posts in this topic

Hi all! Having at last decided in a post-Christmas flush, to get a NAS implemented, I looked at the Drobo DRDS4A31 5N 5 Bay Desktop NAS Enclosure to take my "JBODs".Looking at various reviews on Amazon I had to stop and think a bit - Several comments about unit failures after 2-3 years with unretrievable data.

So I looked at the Synology DS416 4 Bay Desktop Enclosure and their specs leave me confused viz:

DS416 External Drives:

EXT4, EXT3, FAT, NTFS, HFS+*, exFAT*

Notes

HFS+ is read only, max 2TB volume size.

exFAT Access is purchased separately in Package Center.

The DS416 Play does not appear to have that restriction.

OK - I'm naive and untrained but am I getting this wrong? Does anyone out there have any reflections on my caution, or recommendations to make? You can ge a feel for how much I am prepared tos spend on this nod I wanted to go for the Dropbox 'cos I'd heard in various podcasts that it is good and takes a mix of drives - I currently have 5 of varying capacities.

Help please!

TerryB, Northumberland, England

I've never specifically used a Synology, but it should just using whatever it wants for the internal drives. The external that you listed is if you want / need to connect an external hard drive. At least that's how it is my with QNAPs.

I'm late to this party, but @TerryB what did you end up doing? I have both Drobo's and a Synology and can say both work great, but are different. Both should be able to handle various size drive. Synology calls it Synology Hybrid RAID for Drobo it's default and called "Beyond RAID".

I use a Synology DS213J obviously quite old now (I purchased it in 2014) I have 2 x 3TB WD Red drives in it and a Wireless adapter connected. I never had any issues, I've heard that Synology can be more geeky to set up than Drobo but I had no problems (found it quite easy). If your drives are external you can add them via USB to the Synology to give extra storage, you can also share the attached USB drive. Don't if this helps but hope it does.