MacCast

Help: Photo 'analysis' seems to be stuck

18 posts in this topic

So I finally upgraded to macOS Sierra and was looking forward to the new photo analysis features and searching in the macOS Photos app. As you may or may not know it starts scanning your images and running them through Apple's AI engine locally to pick out people, places, and objects in your photos to identify them for searches. It's all run (as far as I can tell) by a background process called `photoanalysisd`. For me it seems to have gotten to 6,904 photos scanned and stopped. It's been here for days and no progress.

Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 9.32.24 AM.png

To make matters worse the language of how it works in this dialog is confusing. Should the Photos app be running and simply in the background or should the app be quit, closed? I have actually tried running it both ways and neither seems to work. I have also tried rebooting the Mac and killing the processes in Activity monitor, but none of it seems to make a difference. Does anyone know how to get this running again?

Hmm there are many suggestions that I can give you but I would first try to ones that are less bold. 

Perhaps try this 

Had the exact same issue just now. Solution:

Quit Photos app

Open Activity Monitor (in Utilities Folder, just use Spotlight to find it)

Search for "Photos"

Select "Photos Agent" process, click the quit button at the upper left (looks like stop sign with an x in it)

When pop up window opens, select "Force Quit"

Launch Photos app

I know the turning off iCloud photo library restarting the Mac and then turning it on May fix it but that's kind of a bold move because many times it requires you to upgrade your iCloud storage to a larger plan and then call Apple to get a refund after that because  iCloud calculates when it starts up again like double what it actually needs.  I don't need to remind you to do a back up first because you're the king   Of Back ups 

I grew to hate that process until it finished. Resource hog is an understatement.

I know I should be more specific but I am growing to hate Photos. Some things automatically upload some don't, it's slow opening. Good luck with it Adam.

Screen Shot 2016-10-18 at 4.53.27 PM.png

Posted (edited)

On 3/22/2017 at 11:13 AM, Dudeman said:

I know the turning off iCloud photo library restarting the Mac and then turning it on May fix it but that's kind of a bold move because many times it requires you to upgrade your iCloud storage to a larger plan and then call Apple to get a refund after that because  iCloud calculates when it starts up again like double what it actually needs.  I don't need to remind you to do a back up first because you're the king   Of Back ups 

I already tried this and had to do it once. I didn't call to get the refund though. I figured i just had to pay the higher storage cost for a month.

It did somehow manage to can a WHOLE 12 more images since I posted this and I didn't really do anything, so I guess I just need to wait until 2018 and it might be done. ;)

Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 12.01.48 PM.png

Edited by MacCast
adding more detail

The follow up question I really have is how to interpret the instructions.

Photos will continue scanning your remaining XXX photos when you're not using the app and your Mac is connected to power

So does the Photos app need to be open and just in the background or should the Photos app be quit completely? The instructions seem ambiguous to me.

I think it does work in the background even if it's closed. 

Perhaps Allison can help too. She has a lotta experience with this. She has a similar issue recently 

Any luck?

Hey @Dudeman, unfortunately no. I'll try reaching out to Allison. I think I might have to try rebuilding the Library from scratch which is a scary thought. I have full backups, so everything will be fine. It's more just the amount of time that will have to be spent dealing with this. *sigh*

Posted (edited)

Wow, yeah I know what you mean. Sometime ya just got to go back to the drawing board. 

the other day I cracked the screen and apple replaced it but they said it failed calibration and had to give me a new phone. I had to restore  from backup and surprisingly fixed an ongoing issue I had where every time I did a Skype call I would have no sound on my phone until I restarted. The new phone fixed it.  Everything is good except I get a popup message saying I need to login to iTunes Store account which is my friends. It pops up every 5 min. I have no idea which app it may be or maybe so I will just put in his pass after I can get him to give me 2 factor code. 

Yeah iCloud Photo Library needs work. 

I was listening to an episode of ACM with Jeff and Dave and he had an iCloud issue with an email address and his domain and he found out that apple didn't even have a system admin which was very surprising as he would have thought there would be a whole team devoted to that. 

I hope allison can help before you have to start over. Maybe that software can help. The one that can extract albums. Photo library manager. 

Edited by Dudeman

Ha ha. That conversation came up in our conversations too. I guarantee you Apple has MANY iCloud systems admins. You might have misunderstood that TDO a bit. It was a bit of a lark. The support tech made the statement that Apple didn't have an iCloud systems admin, but we all know they do.

Hi Adam 

i just woke up this morning and remembered what I did when iCloud Photo Library got stuck on my mac. 

Everytime it got stuck and I waited longer than I should, restarting the mac got it running again. 

I may have had to do this a few times  

also if this doesn't work you may consider running the repair on your library using the keyboard short cuts when opening photos  

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21366?locale=en_US

Ok @Dudeman here the thing about running the "repair" on the library. I made a backup of my Library and then tried that. When it finished iCloud Photo Library started reporting that it was "downloading" my 18,000+ image Photo Library. I became scared, quit the app, and restored from backup. I did this for two reasons:

1. Fear that it could duplicate my entire library and then go into some sort of vicious loop
  2. Concern it would be eating up a lot of my bandwidth.

Now here's the thing, I'm not sure if it was actually "downloading" or not. I did check the Activity Monitor's Network pane and Photos was "downloading" something. It was not as much as I would expect if it was really pulling down everything, but still what WAS it doing? My assumption is despite Photos saying it was "downloading" what it was really doing was "syncing". Doing a comparison and pulling down any differences. Unfortunately in searching Google, StackExchange, the Apple Discussion Boards and such i could not get any definitive answer as to what was happening.

These are the times when, as much as I love Apple's manta of simplicity, I wish Apple would provide a much more "verbose" account of what a running process is doing.

If anyone knows if it's "safe" to repair a Photo Library that has iCloud Photo Library enabled on it let me know. I have considered turning off iCloud Photo Library on my Mac and trying again, but my concern is what happened when i turn it back on as it will still have to sync with the files I already have up there.

8 hours ago, MacCast said:

My iPhone is set to optimize and mac download   Everytime I get a new phone or turn off iCloud Photo Library it does what you said  it appears to be downloading all again  I assumed it was just comparing and syncing like you said so I let it go and it there was no issues after done  I let it go all night long and I may have kept the screen dimmed but don't think that's necessary  I think your assumption is correct. 

Yes I agree  I wish we could get more verbose account of what a running process is doing  I'm sure you have restarted you mac since this happened  that fixed mine when it was stuck   I'll bet that company that makes the software Photo Library manager  forgot the name  used to be called iphoto Library manager   Maybe you can email them and ask if it's ok to do that  Maybe you can tell them your issue and see if they can offer some advice  I think they used to be a sponser

If anyone knows if it's "safe" to repair a Photo Library that has iCloud Photo Library enabled on it let me know. I have considered turning off iCloud Photo Library on my Mac and trying again, but my concern is what happened when i turn it back on as it will still have to sync with the files I already have up there.

My iPhone is set to optimize and mac download   Everytime I get a new phone or turn off iCloud Photo Library it does what you said  it appears to be downloading all again  I assumed it was just comparing and syncing like you said so I let it go and it there was no issues after done  I let it go all night long and I may have kept the screen dimmed but don't think that's necessary  I think your assumption is correct. 

Yes I agree  I wish we could get more verbose account of what a running process is doing  I'm sure you have restarted you mac since this happened  that fixed mine when it was stuck   I'll bet that company that makes the software Photo Library manager  forgot the name  used to be called iphoto Library manager   Maybe you can email them and ask if it's ok to do that  Maybe you can tell them your issue and see if they can offer some advice  I think they used to be a sponser

I also posted another reply above this one 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204967

perhaps this answers your question maybe 

If you repair a library that's automatically updated with iCloud Photo Library, the entire contents of the library will re-update with iCloud after the repair process completes.

seems like this would be a good thing to do but hopefully will not take months   

If it appears to be stuck again the next day than a restart usually gets it started again  

maybe a repair isn't necessary but wouldn't hurt to do it and it will start  a re-update, reindex, sync, compare whatever you want to call it and that may be why the issue happened because it didn't get a chance to do it perhaps because photos  was quit and maybe the reupdate didn't finish  although if you do this it's back to square 1 but maybe a necessary square

I assume you turned off iCloud Photo Library before restoring the backup  if not perhaps that is why it didn't properly start the Re-updating of iCloud which is when it appears that it's downloading everything  

I must admit when that happened to me I had a similar reaction as you and thought to myself really, really  They need to improve iCloud Photo Library especially the issue when it's turned off and on again it thinks it needs way more space than it actually does and people are forced to upgrade storage and downgrade after  

Edited by Dudeman