shockwavedave

2010 MPB - Shuts down, plugged in.

I've got a 2010 MBP that I use in my music teaching studio.  It's plugged in 24/7 and has been for years, and runs in clamshell mode with an external monitor.  I installed a SSD drive and it's been running like a champ.  Except suddenly the other day it started shutting off every 10 minutes.  When restarting, I didn't get notice of anything crashing or improper shutdown.  I took it home and the battery says 1% and it needs service.  Sure it's old, but why would it shut down while plugged in?  Anything I should look at?  Thanks.

johnfoster    48

remove the battery. if the problem persists there an issue with either the power module that sits between the motherboard that holds the magnets or the motherboard itself. for some reason the power connector part goes bad sometimes. if the Mac runs normally without the battery you will need to replace it or just run it without the battery.

connector.jpg

• Like 1

I hadn't thought about just running out without a battery.  Maybe it's all those screws they put in the way.  If the problem isn't the battery but those other 2 items, is  it basically toast?

UPDATE:  Took out the battery yesterday.  It seems to be working just fine.  I had read taking out the battery severely slows down the processor.  I never really tax it, but I haven't noticed anything.  Thanks for the help!

I emailed the local Apple Authorized repair place.  They quoted me $10 less than the Apple store.  But then I asked how much for the battery, as I could do the work myself.  Same price :(

Apple store is $129.  Authorized Repair $119.  Yeah I saw the one at Macsales.com for $99.  Since I only use it as a desktop, and it seems to be functioning, I'm going to leave as is until WWDC, to make sure this machine will continue to be supported by the next OS before putting $ into it.

Side question, is there a way to turn a mac on without the button?  Right now I have a weekly schedule, but it's not very granular.  Since the machine runs in clam shell, I've got a monitor stand over it.  So it's a pain to slide mac out, lift lid, reach with screw driver.  It's a quasi private-public mac.  It's under lock and key, I'm the only one who uses it,but the property owners do have a key and could let someone use the room.

MacCast    80

The only options I can think of are:

1) Maybe add a UPS to the mix. Most UPSs have software that you can configure the unit with for power and I think you can also remotely access and power on and off some of them

2) Use a simple grounded inline switch and extension cord between the Macs power brick and the socket. Locate it someplace that's easier to access. Something like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Grounded-Power-Switch-White-25511/206212328

MacCast    80

very cool @johnfoster. So with this info I guess one could "hack" in their own power button?

johnfoster    48

yes. it is really airquotes easy. although I am never s'posed to use the word easy. in this case it is. you need a two long wires, a momentary switch that is normally open, a case to put that switch in, and a soldering iron. a more "protected" switch would use an opto isolator, a coin battery, and the same physical switch and case as the other mod. use an EASY button, one of the USB do stuff buttons , or an old ARCADE style button. the button doesn't matter so much as the neatness you plan for exiting the wires from the case. it should not look like a five minute hack because is a Mac.

it would be just as airquotes easy to make it work with a remote control. 

if swapping a RAM or a hard drive scares you then forget that I said easy. use IMPOSSiBLE instead.