Sign in to follow this  
ipodman

linux on ipod

is it a good idea to install linux on your ipod?

Just out of curiosity, why? IF you're interested in using your iPod as a boot disk DON'T DON'T DON'T. The iPod doesn't run at 7200 RPM or higher, so the chances of it melting from that kind of usage is great. How do I know? Let's just say I tried to use mine first one as a video drive.

- MT

i think he's referring to the iPodLinux project. it seems pretty cool, but not something crucial of course... just a fun little thing to play around with. i was gonna do it sometime when im really bored, but i (and others) need to be careful if their iPods aren't supported.

And the purpose is what? Sorry, I guess I just misised it. All I see is a bunch of Linux games.

- MT

And the purpose is what?  Sorry, I guess I just misised it.  All I see is a bunch of Linux games.

just fun factor, basically. there's a lot more than games, but it's basically just to see how far they can stretch the useage of the iPod.

And the purpose is what?  Sorry, I guess I just misised it.  All I see is a bunch of Linux games.

- MT

yeah games, and the ability to watch movies and videos, make text docs and tons more just like on computers

Just out of curiosity, why?  IF you're interested in using your iPod as a boot disk DON'T DON'T DON'T.  The iPod doesn't run at 7200 RPM or higher, so the chances of it melting from that kind of usage is great. How do I know?  Let's just say I tried to use mine first one as a video drive.

- MT

im not gona use it as a boot disk but put linux on it.

what are the risks

im not gona use it as a boot disk but put linux on it.

what are the risks

uhh... your iPod stops working? like i said, if it really does mess everything up, just use Apple's iPod Software to erase the iPod and reload everything. it'll take a little bit of time, but that's not so bad....

OK I'm taking a risk here. You may call me a hypocrit or maybe just one of the converted. However, I actually shut my mouth and tried this and well... it's REALLY cool!

There's a few things that were not mentioned that REALLY should be mentioned. Before I continue, here is ithe URL that I'm referring to. I can't take any responsibility for anything that happens to your iPod if you use another link or you install this software:

http://ipodlinuxinstl.sourceforge.net/index.shtml

This installation is a DUAL BOOT installation. Meaning that you don't loose anything (at least nobody has yet). This will not harm your iPod (yes, this is contrary to what I said before).

If you have an old iPod that is NO LONGER UNDER WARRANTEE, try it. You might like this.

- MT

VICTORY! mTorbin has given in!!!

that means that i should try it sometime... i just haven't gotten the chance yet.... I've got a 4g iPod 20gb Color, but I think I'll still give it a shot anyways... do you really think that it could do permanent damage to the iPod? enough to worry about the warranty and about getting it replaced? like i said before, i figured that, at the worst, I'd have to erase the HD in the iPod and reload the iPod software from apple. what do you think mTorbin?

First, I'd try it with the 4GB. Secondly, we're not talking about permanent damage. The ONLY damage that I can think of is that the HD is now being used in a way that it was not intended to be used and it could die from overloading. Happened to me once when I tried to use mine as a video server (yes, I know... "what was I thinking??"). Thirdly, I've actually uninstalled and reinstalled the software and it's worked FINE both ways. No damage is done to the Mac OS on the drive.

The freaky part, though, is the difference in what Linux says is left on the battery and what Apple says. Apple consistently reports a lower battery level then Linux. I think they did this to "dummy proof" the iPods due to some of the OS being stored passively (right term?)

Either way, it's a heck of a learning experience and a pretty decent MOD that even a caveman could do. Oh wait... I meant, even a "person who is less then capable of handling technical concepts". I don't want to insult any cavemen out there.

- MT

by 4g I mean't fourth generation. I just have one iPod....

yeah, that's kinda what I figured. I don't think I'd be doing anything in iPod Linux that would overload the iPod HD. I'll have to give it a try then...

and i know you stole that caveman joke from the Geico commercials...

I don't consider it stealing. It was more of a passive reference to an already played out satire... merely making reference isn't a crime... ;)

I would check before you do the 4Gs. I don't think that they're supproted as of yet.

- MT

I would check before you do the 4Gs.  I don't think that they're supproted as of yet.

yeah, they're not supported... i think that all that means is that if someone who doesn't know what theyre doing loads it on their iPod, and asks them for help, they wont help. oh, and they're also not liable for damages on unsupported hardware that way, too. its okay, chances are I'll be able to figure it out on my own without their help...

Yeah, let me know. I'm leaving it on mine. Gee... linux... apache... hmmm... do you think? Just maybe... no, that's too insane... but... maybe... ah, an ipod web server?

- MT

Sure. Take the iPod and throw it against a wall VERY hard. That would be the same of installing Windows on an iPod.

- MT

VICTORY!  mTorbin has given in!!!  

that means that i should try it sometime... i just haven't gotten the chance yet....  I've got a 4g iPod 20gb Color, but I think I'll still give it a shot anyways... do you really think that it could do permanent damage to the iPod?  enough to worry about the warranty and about getting it replaced?  like i said before, i figured that, at the worst, I'd have to erase the HD in the iPod and reload the iPod software from apple.  what do you think mTorbin?

i've tried to install the linux software on my 20 gb ipod colour 4g- unsuccessful. i installed it adn it prompted me to eject ipod so i did then on the ipod it had a little folder and a exclamation mark. I could still update it but i couldnt listen to tunes on th pod. So i restored my pod and im copying my music on to it right now

Strange, try re-installing it, it worked perfect for me on the same type of ipod!

i hope so!

Strange, try re-installing it, it worked perfect for me on the same type of ipod!

can you tell me all the specifications, firmware (updater) edition and the way you installed it (like what options you chose in the installation) And the place you downloaded it from.

what edition of firmware (updater)dod you have?

yeah

Strange' date=' try re-installing it' date=' it worked perfect for me on the same type of ipod![/quote'']

i hope so! what firmware did you use?