Sign in to follow this  
ipodman

linux on ipod

Its rather sad don't you think!

Well I installed Linux onto my ipod photo 30gb, It was quite good, had doom playing and all, it was still rather choppy. The video thing is a gimic in my eyes as the videos are so ridculously hard to encode, if there was a good guide on the net tell me how to then I'd eat my words. The games were interesting... But the most dissappointing thing of all was the music, I tried listening to music nothing loaded and the thing froze, real smooth.

Dispite this I cant help but admire those people that made it. Its really very clever, doesn't have any perminant effect on the ipod. Im just gonna hold off until it gets better. I just restored my ipod after my test.

Btw I used the Mac installer.

Strange, try re-installing it, it worked perfect for me on the same type of ipod!

what firmware do you have?

I installed it on my 3rd Gen a couple months ago just for kicks. It's interesting and kinda cool to the Linux Penguin guy when you reset and/or boot into Linux. I want to try the enhanced recording capabilities with it at the David Gray concert next month.

I installed it on my 4th gen. It was neat for 10 minutes, now i want to take it off.

Wait Wait Apple OSX on an iPod oh......wait we have that already. Ooh airport to iPod,cool but is it possible?

trying to boost his geek status

no, i bookmarked the forum page and i tried to reply to a post but when i returned to the forum it wasnt there so i did it more times. but now i know that the after i post something and click on "view my post" it takes you to an old version.

i have a 4th gen B/W and ipod linux runs fine on it..... my ipod "color" not photo doesnt.... i talked to a dev and he said that there is more then a name diffrence between the photo and color because he said trying to get it on a color is way harder then getting it on a photo.....

FINALLY after 5 months i have floydzilla installed. it is sooooo! cool, and videos are easy to encode and fast! :D:D:D

can i get Linux onto my fith gen?

i would like to see what all the fuss is about.

I tried it with my 2G iPod and it totally failed to work, BUT the iPod had been acting up so it might be a messed up hardware issue rather than Linux. I think I'm going to have to just accept that my first iPod is a junker :cry: