johnfoster

Text Wrangler vs Visual Studio vs bbEdit

johnfoster    48
Posted (edited)

I was going to do a short write up of the differences of using Text Wrangler (recently discontinued), bbEdit, and this new editor from Microsoft called Visual Studio. I had a test case ready which was an actual project that I am currently working on. except VS would not install. it got stuck in the middle of checking itself before running. I blame Java. my old OX. or the fact that it is a first release. oh well. DELETED. back to work in Text Wrangler.

vsnotresponding.jpg

installscreenstuck.jpg

Edited by johnfoster

MacCast    80

Hey @johnfoster you might they looking at VisualStudio Code, https://code.visualstudio.com, as a test vs. the full VisualStudio IDE. I think Code is more in line with the capabilities of TextWrangler and BBEdit. That said, it's interesting that full Visual Studio would not install. Do you have Xcode installed? That seems to be one of the system requirements for the full Visual Studio for Mac:

For working with iOS in Visual Studio you will need the following:

• a Mac with macOS Sierra 10.12 or above
  • Xcode 8.3
  • An Apple ID. You can create this at https://appleid.apple.com if you don’t have one already. This is necessary for installing and signing into Xcode.

johnfoster    48

that requirement is for working with iOS stuff. and I gave up on that two years ago. there was too much ridiculousness for requirements that FruitCo made for me to want to put up with. 

visual studio vs visual studio. stupido. tools should NEVER have the same same name name. ever ever. sure, one is called CODE and the other is called IDE. one looks like a tool for work while the other kinda sorta looks like a toy. except why is there a difference? there should be ONE editor that works on code. not two. and this idea that there are THREE versions of IDE is even more maddening.

I spent twenty minutes with CODE. most of the Extensions I tried did not work on a Mac but did work on Windows. I would say don't bother on either. there are better editors than this misaligned thing.

MacCast    80

I VERY much agree on the " there are better editors" statement. I'm a big fan of SublimeText and really Xcode is pretty awesome and free.