Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
johnfoster

AppleID is OUT of control

3 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

the AppleID is out of control. I just tried to upgrade OX on a Mac that was not in my control. the machine complained about the password, wanted to verify that it was by the Two Step verification, demanded the credit card numbers for the account which the person does NOT travel with. when the button, “card is not available” was clicked the dialog said, “now in recovery mode, this will take DAYS to fix”.

this has to penalize lots of people who are NOT rock movie important stars that are just wanting to use a Mac to do some work.

this is the kind of thing that makes me want to use Fruit Co products less and less. what really pisses me off is that this is a FREE upgrade. so why the specific information grab? I do NOT get it…
Edited by johnfoster

Wow, that sounds like a major PITA. Unfortunately due to all the heightened hacking and spyware/malware attacks on OS X and iOS this seems to be the world we're heading toward. Still I too am not a big fan of any company "forcing" security and protection measures on customer. Give me the option, but don't force it. If someone wants to be careless with their security/privacy then it's their choice.

the solution was the find a Sierra available via bit torrent. somebody posted a check sum of the file and another search found what the file size should be had it been delivered from a FruitCo server. check and check complete, the install went without a hitch. eventually it wanted an AppleID which was skippable. 

after rebooting rebooting the notifier told, "new version available." clicking update demanded the AppleID password… which worked without whining: no double digit secondary check, no is it really you, just install. 

after that the Word / Office update installed itself which was what started this noise in the first place. 

by comparison, the Microsoft Windows 1o upgrade was easier.