Robin in Short Pump

Who do you contact when Apple Pay doesn't work at retailer?

We use Apple Pay whenever and wherever we can. We've been to 4 local Panera Bread locations and Apple Pay doesn't work at any of them (for me, anyway) or success is spotty. One location told me, after I'd had yet another payment declined, that oh yeah, you have to use the other terminal, this one doesn't work. It's not my card, it always works when I use it manually. Panera is the only place my Apple Pay doesn't work.

So do I contact the retailer? the bank? Apple? What incentive does the retailer have to make sure their terminals work right? I assume they have some way of knowing how many sales are paid for with Apple Pay, but if my card is declined every time, would they know that I'm trying?

MacCast    80

Apple does have an Apple Pay section on their support site. I would say start there. There does seem to be a link on that page, near the bottom, called "Help me with Apple Pay" with a link for customers. Clicking that starts a help "wizard". I don't know if there is path to get you connected with a real person. If that doesn't work also at the bottom the same screen is an "Apple Pay Feedback" section and link. It does take you to a form and one of the options is, "I'm a customer and Apple Pay did not work as expected", so maybe that will work.

Personally I can tell you at more and more retailers I'm being told Apple Pay doesn't work. This includes some retailers where I've used Apple Pay in the past. To make things worse, often the clerks will also add, …"but Samsung Pay works". It's annoying. I think Apple has a SERIOUS Apple Pay issue at retail. It's all fine and great that they have bank and credit card company support, but if it doesn't work at the point of sale then the whole thing is a failure. Apple really needs to become a better partner with retailers in my opinion.